Serama roosters for flock

austrianalps13

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Harpers Ferry WV
I got 2 serama roosters that I've always wanted a few days ago. I have a flock of 10 and in a separate enclosure a mom with her 2 month old 6 chicks. The bigger one of the seramas took to the big flock like a champ and loves the ladies and they accept him. He goes in at night and roosts with them already too. No fuss.
My problem starts when I add the smaller one the 2 roosters go at it like crazy. Well, I know, duh eight, what did I expect. Ok, so i really wanna keep both cause when i have all together the flock is 17 and often free roaming, but not right now cause the cat would kill the chicks and the new flock is getting used to their newly built coop. I have the smaller roo in a wire enclosure inside with mom and babies. He just seems so lonely there. But mom won't accept him around. Should I put mom back with her flock and leave little roo with the chicks? They are fully feathered and his size. Or should I just leave it for now and put all together when I incorporate the chicks? I plan to leave everyone in the run for a few days ago they know home with the new coop. I also may have the option to get a good home for the smaller one. Not sure. I just dont want carnage while I'm gone to get the kids or something. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you :) photos: kids are holding the bigger one and the smaller one is the one with the brick in the photo.

Attachments

• 20201007_162743.jpg
    20201007_162743.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201008_181039.jpg
    20201008_181039.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201007_173649.jpg
    20201007_173649.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 28
Well, I know, duh eight, what did I expect.
:gig Exactly!

Ok, so i really wanna keep both cause when i have all together the flock is 17 and often free roaming
I can't imagine serama roosters protecting a flock.

Should I put mom back with her flock and leave little roo with the chicks?
How old are the chicks?
I put broody and chicks back with flock a week after hatch.
She sets behind a wire wall in coop before that.

I can't imagine serama roosters protecting a flock.

Yeah, I dont think they will either. It's not for protection. I let my flock roam even without a rooster. I've had very few occasional fox losses.

How old are the chicks?
I put broody and chicks back with flock a week after hatch.

The chicks hatched end of august. My biggest issue is that mom was the bottom of the pecking order to begin with. I tried earlier and all the hens just beat her up and she tried to fight back so badly for her chicks. I have the ability to keep the separated for longer, but not sure if I should just try.

So, today I let the smaller rooster on with mom and chicks again, because he looked so sad and just kept trying to get out. I listened closely for about 3 hours and only heard an occasional scuffle with a squawk when mom told the rooater no. He still seemed scared and wanting to get away.
So tonight I cant find him and I'm about to freak out looking for him. Then my son says he sees tail feathers sticking out under mom. 😳 say what?
I look, and sure enough he is with the chicks under mom. I'm not sure how he sweet talked her into letting him do that. Did he revert to being a chick? 😅
At least I dont have to worry about the rainy and chilly days coming up as he will be warm now.

Update: things are going extremely well. Both boys are coexisting very well. They free range with the large birds and the chicks and go into their respective original flocks. Bigger serama with the large flock and smaller one with mom and the chicks. I was supervising them all day. My kids adore them and they each have one to pick up and pet. Gosh, these roosters love to be held and loved on. Too funny!!! We are enjoying them so much and they bring joy to all our friends and neighbors walking by and visiting too.

Attachments

• 20201013_164309.jpg
    20201013_164309.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20201013_123223.jpg
    20201013_123223.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20201008-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20201008-WA0009.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 21
I can see your Black Roo. He's lovely. My husband and I bought four Seramas in March for our anniversary gift. We're crazy about them. We have two little hens and two little Roos. I had to teach Roo babies not to bite. They live in the house and one Too, Hercules, wakes me up every morning. They crow and crow if they want attention. The girls stay in their little nesting boxes and lift thier tails and squeek every time we walk by. They all go out during the day, but we saw a black snake snooping around, so we had to snake proof their outside run. I can pick up the boys and rub their faces, and they fall asleep.

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_211434941_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20190608_211434941_BURST002.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200803_203635742_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200803_203635742_MP.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 22
I can see your Black Roo. He's lovely.

The very large one in my profile pic is gone now, because he was just too big with the toddlers and some very normal aggression starting at around a year. We switched over to the little seramas that were hand raised by a sweet lady and are being handled everyday to hopefully remain super friendly. Even if not always friendly, they would hardly be able to hurt my kids. So, we have the two minis now, seramas. They are beautiful coloring and oh so friendly.

Back
Top Bottom