Seramas For SuburbaBackyard Project? Or is a rooster still a rooster?

juliecox

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Arlington, TX
Hi! I live in a suburban area, so much to my chagrin we've never been able to have a rooster. I've been eying Seramas recently, thinking that if my neighbor's dang dog isn't considered a noise nuisance, and my other neighbor can fire his stupid motorcycle up at 2 am every night, surely I can get by with a Serama rooster. However, having never actually been around live Seramas, I might be mistaken in thinking that the roosters would be quieter than other roosters. My logic goes, smaller rooster should equal smaller noise. I've been wrong about that kind of thing before, though!

So what do you think? Would you give it a try, or is a rooster still going to be a rooster and crow his dang head off day and night, eventually riling the neighbors into a Frankenstein-style mob with torches and pitchforks?

Thanks!
-Julie

Well i have a porcelain d'uccle bantam roo and he crows like crazy but he sounds like a cat so they might not think its even a chicken if they heard a rooster like him..
tongue.png
But i do have a OEGB roo who crows like crazy but his voice is very strong and loud. Usually a rooster is always a rooster but i do believe there are a few breeds that dont crow much.

I don't think my seramas compare at all to my standards. Huge noise difference. Whether that's enough though I can't tell you. You still have a roo crowing all the time. In town with light from other houses and street lamps plus various noises going on and cars going down the road all the time you are likely to have crowing 24/7. Roosters only shut up in complete darkness without sounds so there is nothing to crow at.

Would it be humane to have an enclosed little coop for him that I opened up in the morning? That might keep him quieter. But my chickens are pets, so I want to treat them with kindness.

I live within a mile of downtown. I do live on 300+ acres (school) but I do have hens and a rooster. My rule is I do not let them out until after 11 a.m. on weekdays and 12 on weekends - lets people sleep in etc. My gang has a huge coop (22 ft.x16 ft.) so they are fine ,,,then I let them go out into the pen and or free range during the day (free range if I am home)..So far no problems and I have had them for over 5 years here!

My OEGB have a weak crow compared to standards and even my Silkie. I would think the Serama would be even less. One thing about a Serama is their small size, if you are going to keep just one roo he doesn't even have to be penned with the hens of a night. They are small enough for a parrot cage indoors, let him be with the flock after the nabors are awake or at work.

there are some that are not as loud as others. They are also very happy living indoors, at least part-time. If anyone complains about the sound, surely his adorableness will win him over!

To me Seramas are clearly pets, not farm animals, but that is just my opinion. I see my OEGB as pets, their eggs are way to small for a meal, and as far as eating them it would take two to fill me up. Mine are no bigger than my parrot, and as I understand it Seramas are much smaller than OEGB.

Back
Top Bottom