Serama's have coccidia - HELP!!!

byrd95

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
Milltown, Indiana
I've dealt with coccidia before but I'm beginning to wonder if corid is even effective anymore. I eleven 2 1/2 month old Serama's who seem to have it AGAIN. The corid that I have been using is the liquid not the powder. I did just receive Sulfasol Powder but am unsure on the dosage to use or if it's even a good idea to use. I've lose several to coccidia but this was a couple of months back. When the others had coccidia they were still in a brooder and never had even been outside. I put my Serama's outside a couple of weeks ago and about 2-3 days ago they started showing symptoms of having coccidia again. They are in their own coop. Does anyone have any experience with coccidia and can give me some pointers? I don't want to lose any more.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 15
Sulfa antibiotics are not approved for egg producing chickens. That said, sulfadimethoxine is sometimes used in chickens to treat coccidiosis, coryza, and fowl cholera. There is not an easy dosage because the package dosage is for treating cattle. However, it you have a gram scale, you can weigh out a gram or more and mix it accordingly with the following link that gives mg per day to mix in water:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/sulfadimethoxine

Thank you so much for the info! I'm beginning to think maybe it isn't coccidia and they just need deworming. I have not noticed ANY blood in their stool. It's little runny but it's not water. I'm just at a loss of what to do for them.

Back
Top Bottom