Serious leg issue

Pogo

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
Hey BYC! I was recently given a chick with some splayed legs and curled toes, i was treating her for that. (Vitamin B2 with leg braces and spacers) and she was improving, i had a short trip and i left her in the care of a family member and came back to her like this. Her left legs “knee” is going the wrong direction and her right leg is bent to the side. Its so bad I considered euthanasia but all of the exotic vets in my area are full. She is a fighter and is still eating and drinking but i wanted a more seasoned opinion on wether its ethical or reasonable to try and help her and how i should do so. Im trying to keep her as comfortable as i can for now. (First picture is before and the rest are after)
IMG_4895.jpeg

IMG_5364.jpeg
img_5363-jpeg.3558504

Attachments

• IMG_5363.jpeg
    IMG_5363.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 43
Hey BYC! I was recently given a chick with some splayed legs and curled toes, i was treating her for that. (Vitamin B2 with leg braces and spacers) and she was improving, i had a short trip and i left her in the care of a family member and came back to her like this. Her left legs “knee” is going the wrong direction and her right leg is bent to the side. Its so bad I considered euthanasia but all of the exotic vets in my area are full. She is a fighter and is still eating and drinking but i wanted a more seasoned opinion on wether its ethical or reasonable to try and help her and how i should do so. Im trying to keep her as comfortable as i can for now. (First picture is before and the rest are after)View attachment 3558510
View attachment 3558502
img_5363-jpeg.3558504
Hi, I'm so sorry your baby is having trouble, we had a beautiful blue backyard mix that had feet troubles. It was recommended to us to give her a little sandals by using that very gentle paper tape, medical that comes off easily, and walnut shell halves. It seem to work for a little bit, but then she had trouble.

We finally just started giving her lots of nutritious stuff, because she could still stand up even though her toes were curled under. She ended up just having a regular life with feet that were weirdly curled under. She was able to roost, she laid eggs (although only for the first two years but we didnʻt really care), she was super sweet and we were thrilled to have her.

I was reading another thing recently that suggested a B complex supplement, just get human B complex vitamins, break one in half and crush it up and mix with water give her a few drops a couple times a day. I don't know, I always err on the side of giving the thing a chance. I was so glad we did our little one.

Hi, I'm so sorry your baby is having trouble, we had a beautiful blue backyard mix that had feet troubles. It was recommended to us to give her a little sandals by using that very gentle paper tape, medical that comes off easily, and walnut shell halves. It seem to work for a little bit, but then she had trouble.

We finally just started giving her lots of nutritious stuff, because she could still stand up even though her toes were curled under. She ended up just having a regular life with feet that were weirdly curled under. She was able to roost, she laid eggs (although only for the first two years but we didnʻt really care), she was super sweet and we were thrilled to have her.

I was reading another thing recently that suggested a B complex supplement, just get human B complex vitamins, break one in half and crush it up and mix with water give her a few drops a couple times a day. I don't know, I always err on the side of giving the thing a chance. I was so glad we did our little one.
I already tried the shoe method and shes getting a B complex, its more the leg bent backwards thing that I'm concerned about, thank you for the info though.

Back
Top Bottom