Seriously, $8 per bag for duck food?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Well, you've got the drought in the midwest/southwest. You've got the oil and food companies buying up an enormous amount of grain for fuel and food additives. And finally, most of the grain has been sold to other countries leaving us with next to nothing. It's that simple. Companies in the US is going after the big dollar rather then feeding there own.

I don't think you understood my post. The commodities market is in chicago. That is the wall street for all commodities(grain, corn, beans, cotton) They set the market price for commodities. The speculators said we are going to have more corn and soybeans then the country can handle, so the price per bushel keeps dropping. Last i checked it dropped $4 a bushel. I got 50 bushels to the acre last year. so right now that is a loss of $200 an acre. It has been dropping everyday for the past month.

That is todays tradeing price $12.50 a bushel

Wow. Just like gas prices. I know the mill by me is upset with the prices going up constantly so it's not our local feed store that is making the big bucks off of the feed. I suppose it's the middle man cleaning up.

Quote:
Well, you've got the drought in the midwest/southwest. You've got the oil and food companies buying up an enormous amount of grain for fuel and food additives. And finally, most of the grain has been sold to other countries leaving us with next to nothing. It's that simple. Companies in the US is going after the big dollar rather then feeding there own.

I don't think you understood my post. The commodities market is in chicago. That is the wall street for all commodities(grain, corn, beans, cotton) They set the market price for commodities. The speculators said we are going to have more corn and soybeans then the country can handle, so the price per bushel keeps dropping. Last i checked it dropped $4 a bushel. I got 50 bushels to the acre last year. so right now that is a loss of $200 an acre. It has been dropping everyday for the past month.

That is todays tradeing price $12.50 a bushel

$12.50 for a bushell? That seems rather high.

I think that a bushel of corn weighs about 43 pounds. Add to that protein source (soy bean or aminal), vitamins, minerals (calcium), certain extra amino acids, and whatever else they add, then process it, pelletize it, put it in bags, transport it to a local distributor, from there to a feedstore, and lastly to the end consumer, and there's not much room for anyone to make any money.

I can buy that here locally for 11-cents per pound (that would be $5.50 per 50-pound bag, though I have to buy it loose, in bulk by the truck-load). Seems much more reasonable to use wheat (which has more protein then corn as well). But even if using wheat, $8 per 50-pound bag of processed, ready-to-use poultry feed seems really low.

Back
Top Bottom