Seriously thinking of Homeschooling my Daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thanks, I love the old schoolhouse magazine. So many fun things too read.
smile.png
And by the way, one point I also want to make out is homeschooling isn't about your kids getting a higher test score, it's about spending time with your child. You learn from eachother and have fun at it! I disagree about homeschoolers being 'un-socialized'. IF you have them in your own little unpolluted world, no friends, no one, then yes. But not all homeschoolers are like that. In fact, you don't have to live up to being a 'homeschooler'. Homeschooling is a word that YOU can make your own definition of. You are in charge of your daughter, if you decide to homeschool, then don't feel like you have to do someone elses definition of homeschooling. Your in charge of her social activities and you know your daughter better than anyone. You can set aside times for her to play with her friends, but you don't have to make it a daily thing - that's in my opinion the unhealthy thing. I wouldn't want my daughter to spend more time with her friends than me. If she did, she would be learning things from her friends (Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but when you have too much of 'learning' from her friends it isn't good, either) that perhaps you don't want her friends teaching her.
Don't feel pressured to do with your daughter by what all of us say on here, just tips from all point of views.
wink.png

Quote:
Agreed. How a child turns out is a reflection of many different factors in their life, not just how they were schooled. If a homeschooled kid is socially inept, it always seems to be blamed on the fact that they are homeschooled while in truth, there are numerous things that have contributed to that child's personality and abilities. If a kid who is public-schooled turns out to be a drug dealer, do we blame that outcome solely on the fact that they went to public school? Of course not! We each have to choose the type of schooling that works best for our family and our children. There will always be positives and negatives no matter what you choose. To say one system is always better than the other is simply close-minded.

i love school. Its my only way to see my friends, and just escape from home. I would hate to be homeschooled. But thats just my opinion. Instead of homeschooling her, why not move her to a different school?

now home schooling is something i know a little about.
(showy offy bit)
my son is 12 has been home schooled since he was 9.
done the following gcse's (taken by 16 year olds if in school)
history-c
maths-b
english-b
physics-a
geography-d
and has just finished the first year of a maths degree with the ou (86%)
starts his second year in oct.
he can rebuild an engine,milk a cow, weld, make a rocking chair and wants to be a pilot so has a flying lesson every month. none of this would be done at school.

he works for 4 hours a day 4 days a week.
is happy ,content and loves it. he is still a child but a child reaching his full potential.

i think the problem with schools is that the class consists of about 40 pupils (when he was at school) and as they all work as a group on the same thing at the same time the progress of the whole class is limited to that of the least gifted child in that class.

home schooling is not for every one, but if you have the time (in charlies case his grandmother, mother, uncle and myself all tackle different subjects and as you can tell i dont teach him english) go for it, it could change your childs life forever and for the better if done correctly. dont forget the social aspect as this is important to, clubs such as air cadets, scouts are how we provide this.

you have had very good replies from others on this site and i hope my 2pence worth is helpfull BUT YOUR CHILD IS AN INDIVIDUAL AND ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE WHAT IS BEST. my opinion is just that and what is working for us and producing a happy ,confident ,well educated child (agian my opinion) may not work for you.

the one thing i can tell you for sure , is that given the choice absolutly no way would charlie go back to school.

Last edited:
Quote:
I strongly agree. I often hear people complaining about them because of the drama and stuff that can go on, but no matter if youe homeschooled her not, thats what you'll have to deal with in the real world.

There is no single correct answer. Social issues can develop out of either scenario. A home school parnet needs to ensure that their child has access to other kids for socialization; from what I have heard, a very large percentage do so. However, some only have access to other kids from families with similar backgrounds and ideas. Not that there is anything wrong with the ideas, but kids need to learn to relate to a wide variety of people and opinions. By the same token, kids who attend a school are automatically exposed to other kids, often with diverse backgrounds and ideas, but may not be equipped to handle situations such as bullying or overwhelming shyness.

Nice to see so many intelligent opinions on this subject and that most folks here realize there are different sides to such a serious issue. We are all speaking from our own experiences only and no one can say for sure what is best for your family. I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom