Set Eggs Under Broody!

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I just thought I'd let you all know I decided to let my broody 21wk old Silkie have some eggs. I ordered some eggs off Luckypickens and put them under her. I also bought two of Peachick's breeding hens on Saturday and one laid me an egg after we got her home, so I put that under her, too. So, we will see how she fairs with 15 bantam and 1 standard egg!

My last round with the incubator was dismal. I set 56 eggs and they all died in the shell (100+ degree days and a day with no power for 5hrs). I decided I will only hatch the natural way or I'll get myself a Sportsman next year.
wink.png

Wish me luck, because I know I need it! I am supposed to be moving to a new house this or next weekend, too! Man, I hope the move doesn't break her brood.

My black Silkie, Vittles, decided to go broody - this is her second day - so the white girl has help sitting on all those eggs and they will have two moms to raise them! Of course, now I need another coop. Great.

Little update, again. Not that I think anyone is reading this...
My third Silkie has gone broody. She tries to get in the box with the other two, but she doesn't fit so she sits outside the box or on the edge. I just thought it was funny that all three went broody within a week of each other.

Tomorrow is day 8 and I will be candling. I am anxious to see what the lone Ameraucana egg is doing!
wink.png

My third broody died - and I am wondering if she wasn't actually sick and not broody the whole time.

I bought a new tote w/ a lid for them and cut a hole in the side so they could get in and with the lid, the LF Cochin and the Delaware would stopped crawling on top of them. My black Slikie, Vittles, left the nest for two days, so I thought I broke her brood moving her to the new tote. The girls also did not like the change and left the eggs for about 5hrs. So, my hatch may not be a good one again, thanks to that. Vittles did go back to the nest, though. Good thing because there was to many for the other girl to handle on her own. About 5 of them were left out, so I am not expecting those to hatch at all since they were out of under her for some time.

I have not candled. I wanted to leave them alone since I've already moved them twice and almost broke Vittles' brood. Hopefully I will see my first chick the 24th or 25th!

Back
Top Bottom