Set the eggs today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by midget_farms, Mar 9, 2014.

1. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    31 eggs set today.

I may add another tomorrow (late) if I get another dark egg from the Maran.

I'm using my old home made incubator - I'm thinking of building a new one.

Wish me luck!

2. AVHalls

AVHalls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    So.Cal./ High Desert
    Good luck! I've been having a hard time hatching Marans. The develop all the way but not peep... :(

3. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Bummer.

This is my first attempt - I picked up a couple young roosters at the auction last summer & then a couple hens (coons ate one of them). So my solo Maran hen who has been with the rooster & the rest of the flock all winter just started laying. I've been saving them up - she layed 3 in a row & then skipped a day - then 2 more, That's 6 days - I can't wait any longer to get them in the incubator so in they went. Like I said if I get another tomorrow it will go in too.

We all know how much these darn eggs cost on ebay. I'm hoping to eventually get 5 or 6 decent layers without paying for any more.

I added the barred rock & cochin eggs in the bator just for ballast - but if I get a mess of them that's all the better.

Next up will be easter eggers - I'll be trying for olive, blue & pink to go along with my dark brown & light brown.

4. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    OK - day 9 yesterday - I candled them & had to remove 5 - 1 was never fertile & 4 looked to have died - had the infamous ring.

The bad news is 1 of those was a Maran egg - so only 4 of them left. So the best I can home for is 2 hens - if they both make it.

OH CRAP! did I just count my chickens before they hatch!!

Anyway - day 10 today & 25 eggs left.

I need to build an automatic turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by