Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

ok, so i set more chicken eggs yesterday and the duck eggs are in lock down...gonna try this again.... got 5 out of last hatching...checked all the ones that didnt hatch and found all had full develpoed dead chicks. i am using duct tape this time to seal the box so i dont open it....

Becky, thanks for posting pics. What a difference a few weeks make to a chick! First I can't understand how black and yellow chicks grow to LB! I thought the chicks would be

Becky, thanks for posting pics. What a difference a few weeks make to a chick! First I can't understand how black and yellow chicks grow to LB! I thought the chicks would be light colored. That just made sense to me. Then I had a picture of Dorkings in my head but they don't look like yours! Don't mean to say your D's look wrong, just trying to understand how they can change so much. Your older Dorking chicks remind me of a robin!! That's how good I am at identifying chick breeds! How do these people do it that can see a picture of a chick and know what it is? As old as I am, keep learning more and more on this site!
Last night a freak storm hit and we got like a smidgen of rain. Went out this a.m. and a tree has fallen right over onto my chicken pen. No birds hurt but scrambling to figure out where I'll put the 17 chicks I have now.
It's always something! Little boogers are 6 days old and trying to fly out of the brooder! Some already doing that chest bump thing - those must be roos! My DH works out of state and is only home on weekends. Guess what he will be doing Saturday?!! Blasted storms. Our power went out while this last hatch was just finishing day 1 of lockdown. I still think more would have hatched if the power hadn't gone out but it is what it is!
Can't remember, are all colors of Silkies black-skinned? Are all the buff or partridge color chicks yellow? Gonna go get my chicken books out and look up some things!

Last edited:
ultrasonic humidifier... what is that... share please. I had a bunch of shrink wrapped chicks... I would love to control my humidity.

Here is a couple of pics of my ultrasonic humidifier/mister. I have it in a little jelly jar with just a little plastic lid on the top of it. When they're on they make a mess if you don't have something on top, they're made for ponds & aquariums. But I used it during the hatch so if I needed to bump up the humidity to open the bator i could. Seemed to work fine.

Here is a couple of pics of my ultrasonic humidifier/mister. I have it in a little jelly jar with just a little plastic lid on the top of it. When they're on they make a mess if you don't have something on top, they're made for ponds & aquariums. But I used it during the hatch so if I needed to bump up the humidity to open the bator i could. Seemed to work fine.

That's pretty darn cool!!!!

Swedish hens, Nice!!!!!
My husband is 1/2 swedish. His grandmother came over from sweden. She passed a few years ago. When we found the swedish hens, we just had to have some! We have some decorations in our house that came from sweden and they have those chickens on them. I hope some of these eggs make it. They're in poor shape.

My husband is 1/2 swedish. His grandmother came over from sweden. She passed a few years ago. When we found the swedish hens, we just had to have some! We have some decorations in our house that came from sweden and they have those chickens on them. I hope some of these eggs make it. They're in poor shape.

Did you get any xtras? I saw on eBay some Swedish eggs for sale. Do you think the PO handled rough or the seller just didn't pack good? Could the heat have been a factor?
BTW, somewhere on this thread I posted a link on how to tell female or male eggs. Before you set, I'd take a look.

Did you get any xtras? I saw on eBay some Swedish eggs for sale. Do you think the PO handled rough or the seller just didn't pack good? Could the heat have been a factor?
BTW, somewhere on this thread I posted a link on how to tell female or male eggs. Before you set, I'd take a look.
the seller packed great, none of the eggs were broken. I bought 15, they sent 21, so that's good. The box was smashed when I got it
rant.gif
and kinda damp
somad.gif
. they came from a farm by ft. worth tx. if i decide to order more, i might take the kids on a train ride down there (they've been dying to ride the train) and pick them up.

totally gonna look for that link!!!

Back
Top Bottom