Setting Eggs Dec 31 - first time since last summer

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
Hi all - its been a while since I set any eggs - my hens from this past year are all laying now and I have 3 roosters left for my 8 hens - all raised together.

The top rooster (Rooster Cogburn) is a frizzle!

2ijkkmp.jpg

The hens are buff orpingtons - who knows what will come out!

I have 11 eggs collected so far - I hope to have about 18 to set.

I have the incubator up & running now - planning to let it stabilize etc.

Anyone else want to set on the 31st?

Congrats! - I plan to collect the eggs 1 more time today around noon - then they all go in.

I think I will have 16 to 18 eggs total from the past 5 days.

I need to update the hatch calendar

All of this talk about hatching eggs makes me want to soooo badly! BUT I don't want chicks in my house for months! Can't wait to hatch in April!!!! Until then, I will drool over everyone else's adventures! Good luck with your hatches!

jumpy.gif

I set my shipped eggs last night so today is day #1. (december 31) I have Buff Orpingtons, Gold Laced Wyandottes, one Lavender Wyandotte, Silver Sussex and Buff Brahma. I have never had any of those breeds except the Orpington and never a Lavender. Here's hoping that one egg does hatch. Since I got more eggs than I bought by 15, I had to make an extra row in my incubator and double stack the last three. I have never done that before so I hope I am successful.

Awsome! I have 15 in the bator - Since I have 3 roosters (2 BO & the friz) I'm not really sure what will come out of the eggs. All 3 roosters & most of the hens were hatched together last spring - I'm hoping they are fertile - it may be too early yet, but Cogburn has been crowing now for months so I'm guessing he's getting the job done!

In about a week I'll candle for the first time & toss any that are duds.

Back
Top Bottom