Setting eggs July 6th. Need some hatching buddies. Lets have some fun!

It's Time!!!

Today is day 21. I went to work this morning... and nothing. I just got home from work and 3 of the 10 eggs in the incubator have little holes, about an 1/8 of an inch across, and I can hear an occasional chirp!!!!

How long does the hatching process usually take to complete? This is my first chicken hatch (I had ducks before, but the hen took care of them).

Last edited:
okay I have 3 more just hatch and now Im up to 8 But my question on one is what is this red tumor looking thing on this one is it going to die? I have never seen this before
it just hatched out on its own I did nothing to help it , so Im not sure what it is any one ??

i had a couple chicks that hatched like that and i got a few different answer. mine ended up dying a day or 2 later. i believe it is part of the intestines and the belly never closed up before hatching.

i had a couple chicks that hatched like that and i got a few different answer. mine ended up dying a day or 2 later. i believe it is part of the intestines and the belly never closed up before hatching.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me, too. Part of the internal organs look like they are protruding. :(

It's Time!!!

Today is day 21. I went to work this morning... and nothing. I just got home from work and 3 of the 10 eggs in the incubator have little holes, about an 1/8 of an inch across, and I can hear an occasional chirp!!!!

How long does the hatching process usually take to complete? This is my first chicken hatch (I had ducks before, but the hen took care of them).

Yay, you've got pips! I woke up to one pip this morning, myself. The process goes from internal pip to external pip to unzipping. The internal pip you don't see unless you candle, but it's when the chick breaks through the inner membrane into the air cell at the end of the egg. The chick has grown so big that the gas exchange through the shell of the egg is no longer enough to support its needs, so it breaks into that air cell and the lungs start working. If the lungs have developed properly, the chick breathes from this air cell for a few hours but then they've pretty much exhausted that supply, so they pip externally. That gives them access to all the air they need, and they rest for a while. The time between first pip and hatching is important because the chick is absorbing the remaining egg yolk into its abdomen. This will provide it nutrition for the first couple of days. If the chick hatches before the yolk is internalized, they usually will die because the yolk will break and get infected. This is why it's so dangerous to assist a hatching chick, if that yolk hasn't absorbed you can make matters worse. Anyway, once they're ready they'll start unzipping the egg. Once that starts, they're usually out in an hour or so. The time between first pip and unzipping varies, usually 8-12 hours but I've had them go in about 4 hours and take as long as 36. The chick decides! :)

Thank you VERY much for that information. Since I posted, I have one that is unzipping. The other two are still taking their time. I expect to have at least one little chirper all the way out by the time I get home from work tonight.

My lavender orpingtons are due to hatch today. Hope they are not like the last bunch. 2 out of 22 and most did not even start to form. I had one hatch 3 days late from the 22 hope these at least hatch. Then my 13 rir and br are due tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mine are due to hatch tomorrow or Saturday, but I don't have high hopes. One of my broodies isn't sitting well on the nest since I've moved her, but she's managed to steal most of the eggs. Since the incubation has been a bit spotty, I'm guessing my hatch rate will be low (if I get any).
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom