Setting eggs on 6/18.... anyone wanna join?

I started some eggs on 6/18. I have 9 Araucana eggs, plus 16 of our barnyard mutt eggs (SLWs, black sex links, modern english games and silkies are involved). The last hatch started with 10 eggs, which resulted in 4 chicks. 3 are roosters, so I'll be left with one adorable little coal-black silkie mix once the boys are big enough to contribute to dinner. Hopefully I can convince more of the little suckers to hatch this time.

Anybody ever had an egg get stuck in an automatic turner? I've got an egg that's definitely fertile, but I can't rotate it or remove it from the rack. I know the shell was intact when I set the hatch because I candled each egg for cracks.

Do you think the chick will be able to hatch if the egg is still stuck in the rack? I could remove each arm from the turner, just like I do each time I clean it, and place that arm of the turner, egg and all, on the floor of the incubator when it's time to stop turning.

Or, do you think it would be better to try to remove the egg using a hot, damp paper towel?

I've never had this happen before. The eggs were clean, free from anything that could have caused adhesion, so I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Coral

I have had a stuck egg a couple of times....one time I took out the arm and used a warm wet towel and it came off really fast

One time I took the whole arm and put it in the hatcher and the last time it was already hatching so I just left it and it came out of the egg fine. So three (this is what happens when you get busy) times and three different things that I did

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I'm still puzzled as to why the egg got stuck. I must have missed a hairline fracture in the egg when I candled them.

Quote:
Well you just let me know when you need some, cause I've always got some laying around!
cool.png

hahahaaa!!!!! well in 28 (i got ducks in there too) days ill hit you up on that offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Does everyone else come up that the eggs set on June 18th are due July 3rd? Now I wish I would have waited a couple of days and tried for the 4th since I seem to have day 20 hatchs on the banties.

My date could be wrong though - can't find my calander and so I just added it up in my head.

HAHA - I was using my fingers to keep count - actually mine will be due the 8thish then since I actually set them the night of the 17th.

To think I was in gifted and talened for math when I was in jr. high - my brain must be rotting.

Quote:
ha ha ha ha i had to.... i added 2 more, plus a bunch of quail eggs.....

so i have guineas, chickens, ducks and quail all in there....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom