Setting eggs today. I'm a hatching virgin.

Good luck to all the people just setting eggs!

Newlyweds, I'm glad you got at least one! Were you there to see it pop? To me, that's the coolest part.
smile.png

I'm happy to report that my amazing broody hen, Pecky, accepted all the chicks and is now mama to 26 little fuzzballs.
big_smile.png
I'll post pictures in a seperate post, later.

Newlyweds: how's it going over there? Is it still just the one little guy? I would maybe leave it a little longer because your first pip was a little late (I think) and mine pipped over 3 days. Maybe my incubator had cold spots. Anyway, I finally gave up on my last 6 eggs and I found it very hard to dispose of them. I didn't open them (maybe I should have to reassure myself I was not disposing of anything alive). I'm so glad you got one at least.
Lindsay

Hi everyone. Well I opened all the eggs today, and 4 of them were fully developed, one had is yolk almost completely absorbed, so I am not sure exactly what happened. I am thinking my temps were a bit low and my humidity a bit high. Is there anyway to calibrate and thermometer? I had three in there and they all registered different. My LG therms said about 102 on top of the eggs, but my digital never went above 97 so I always figured it was off.

Any ideas? Sad part is I just ordered a bunch of new eggs, but I am so scared now that I will kill them also, ugh...........

So my sad lonely sticky little chick is all by herself, I am hoping to be able to find her a little friend.

Newlyweds: So sorry to hear the eggs didn't hatch. If we lived close I'd bring U one of mine for company.
Out of the 18 eggs I put in 14 hatched...but it took a few days. One ...Lil' Red, abt 2 PM on Monday, next 2 AM on Tuesday morning. Tuesday it seemed as if they were popping one after the other. Last one pipped on Tuesday but didn't do anything until Wed afternoon. So it took them 3 days to hatch. Last 4 eggs I took outside to look at. One had pipped and was a completely formed chick that quit. The other 3 were in various stages of development. But at least all 18 eggs were fertile.
My temp held steady at 99.5 and depending on how many damp chicks were in there the humidity was 68 - 72.
I'm waiting impatiently for my Guineas to lay some eggs.
Hope you have better luck with your next hatch.
Liz
MA

well day 22 and not even 1 pip
hit.gif
gonna give it one more day and start over i guess... started with a little giant and had a real problem keeping the temp steady. we had ordered a hova-bator and the eggs arrived before the incubator... so we bought the L.G. at a local farm store. when the hova arrived we set it up and transfered the eggs, and brought the L.G. back. Blaming the early issues with the L.G. for the failure... not giving up though...
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Congrats to those who eggs have hatch and I am sorry for those babies who did not make it.

Wyysebuck, i Have an LG and this is my first time using it. I have not had any problems with mine sense the first day i plugged it in. Temp has been staying at 99.5 but i bring it to 101 still air for me. and Tomorrow starts hatch day and my humidity is at 60% -65% and they do that on thier own. I am sorry you had a hard time with yours. But let me know how your Hova Bator goes. looking into getting anther one just in case I need it.

I am hoping they do not start peeping while i am at wrk. I have my Yahoo web cam up and going. I do not know how to get my web cam to go to live feed. Trying to wrk on that as well. Sense i do not have to wrk tomorrow and will have more time to mess with it I will wrk on it tonight.

deana in Decatur Texas:)
caf.gif

wow, figured i was the only one up at this time of the morning...lol

was constantly adjusting temp on the L.G. set up the hova-bator and got it to 102 and left it there...zero problems! it has a very different termostatalso when we got the hova (e-bay) it came with an automatic egg turner... L.G. i had to hand turn...

Back
Top Bottom