1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting eggs today!! Newbie!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 7cluckers, May 28, 2011.

1. 7cluckers

7cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    So I got a Brinsea mini advance incubator and just received 5 fertile hatching eggs that I will be setting today. Anyone else setting? This is my first time hatching eggs and we are very excited. I followed the manual instructions and set the turning interval to 1 hour and turning "ANG" to 15. Wish me luck!

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

"LUCK"

Exciting! My first time also... I'm on Day 3.

What are you hatching?

3. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    I set my first 14 Lavender Orpington eggs in a Brinsea Advance EX on Thursday, day 3 for me too! So excited, my kids keep asking when they will hatch- going to be a very long 3 weeks!!! Happy Hatching!

4. mmaddie's mom

Quote:We were destined to be hatching together... we are all using a Brinsea (ECO 20 for me)... I also have 14 eggs in... and mine are LAVENDER bantam Ameraucanas (at least 8 of them are).

Happy Successful Hatching to all! [​IMG]

5. 7cluckers

Jul 15, 2010
    I have 2 blue Orpington and 3 blue splash marans. Also gave an egg from one of my other chickens to my broody silkie a few days ago (today is day 5) so we'll see what happens with that one, too!

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I have six home hatched eggs from my sisters farm waiting to go in and I should have 3 Buff Orpington and 3 Ameracauna eggs once they have arrived I will be setting them in my incubator.

7. mmaddie's mom

Orpingtons/Ameraucanas/Marans (my other 6 are Marans, too)... lavender/blue... it is meant to be! [​IMG]

Let the incubating begin! [​IMG]

8. 7cluckers

Jul 15, 2010
    Bad news....our power went out last night (a transformer blew) and the incubator was without power for about 6 hours. I just plugged it in at my neighbor's house. I know this is not good - any idea how long eggs can last like this? Today is day 4 & incubator read 77.6 degrees when I plugged it in.

I am so bummed....especially bc we NEVER lose power!

9. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I just joined BYC after reading it for weeks, I also set 18 mixed breed eggs on the 28th. I have a still air hovabator, temp ~ 100 (ranges from 99.6-100.5)at the top of the eggs.. should I increase it to stay closer to 100.5? looking forward to sharing this experience with you all

10. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Quote:I would not give up, I have read of many things going wrong and still having a good hatch. My first hatch I had a temp spike of 110 and still got 11 out of 13 so dont give up just keep going. I have read that they can go to a low temp once and still be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by