Setting eggs tomorrow night, 3/29/12, anyone want to hatch with us?

This is Gracie w/some of her fostered chicks. A Salmon Faverolle, an (sp??) Aracana?, 2 EE chicks and a White Crested Black Polish. There is also a Silver Laced Wyandotte. She actually hatched a Silky, but it was so small it was ignored so I brought it in the house & put in Brooder box w/some incubator chicks.

You're last "for a while." Hmmm... I think about 3 1/2 weeks is a while. By then your bator will be all cleaned out and looking lonely again.

Told you I was an enabler!
hide.gif

Seems like I'm the only one hear that doesn't have silkies. Hmmm... may have to get some just to fit in!
frow.gif
No silkies here.... you're not alone. Total enabler too.

frow.gif
No silkies here.... you're not alone. Total enabler too.
Oh I can help you out with that!!!!

So last night when I got home NOTHING .... but this morning I heard chirping and upon further inspection 3 of the 4 eggs were zipping
jumpy.gif

2 hatched before I left the house for work and 1 was working hard to get out. I hatched in egg cartons again but it makes it really hard to see pips... so who knows if egg #4 is doing anything.... Here is a very poor picture I got as the incubator plastic is DIRTY!!!!!

Yep it is hard work busting out of an egg!!!

Omg so I just got home from work and went to check on the new hatchlings.... And I see 3 chicks and I look at egg#4 and I see fluff ... I think it is one of the 3 chicks but NO Its #4! The wings or a wing and a leg had been freed from the shell but the membrane was so tough that it couldn't break free.... It had obviously been out a little while so that it could fluffy up.... So I picked up the egg and meant to take a picture but the poor chick was chirping so loud I went to bathroom as I thought itwas stuck.... But one I torn the dry white membrane chick #4 came right out!! I put her back in the bator to fluff up the rest of the way and well take a nap.... I'm sure being stuck in an egg is exhausting!! So that's 4 out of 4 in lockdown that hatched. It makes such a difference when the eggs are local!! Clean easy hatches..... :D I'll get pictures tomorrow.

Omg so I just got home from work and went to check on the new hatchlings.... And I see 3 chicks and I look at egg#4 and I see fluff ... I think it is one of the 3 chicks but NO Its #4! The wings or a wing and a leg had been freed from the shell but the membrane was so tough that it couldn't break free.... It had obviously been out a little while so that it could fluffy up.... So I picked up the egg and meant to take a picture but the poor chick was chirping so loud I went to bathroom as I thought itwas stuck.... But one I torn the dry white membrane chick #4 came right out!! I put her back in the bator to fluff up the rest of the way and well take a nap.... I'm sure being stuck in an egg is exhausting!! So that's 4 out of 4 in lockdown that hatched. It makes such a difference when the eggs are local!! Clean easy hatches.....
big_smile.png
I'll get pictures tomorrow.
Ooooooh wonderful!! I actually just jumped for joy! Like... out loud! Yay Yay Yay! Remind me.... are these your silkies???

OK, I know this "hatching time" has passed but the information on this thread has been wonderful..... I have a big question. I am truly thinking that we may have had a bum thermometer...OR worse yet... a bum heating element/hot spot. Is that possible? A HOT SPOT? We have looked @ ChooksChicks cheat sheet (very hard to say with marbles in your mouth by the way) and have now got 3 thermometers going in a dry incubator.... and we are trying... trying very very very hard not to look at the temp. I'm thinking that things on one side tend to be a wee bit waaaaaarm.....

OK, I know this "hatching time" has passed but the information on this thread has been wonderful..... I have a big question. I am truly thinking that we may have had a bum thermometer...OR worse yet... a bum heating element/hot spot. Is that possible? A HOT SPOT? We have looked @ ChooksChicks cheat sheet (very hard to say with marbles in your mouth by the way) and have now got 3 thermometers going in a dry incubator.... and we are trying... trying very very very hard not to look at the temp. I'm thinking that things on one side tend to be a wee bit waaaaaarm.....
Jane remind me what incubator you have? You can have hot spots and bum thermometers .... People really like the spot check thermometer from Brinsea .... If you have a forced air incubator you shouldn't have a hot spot as the air is circulating..... When do your eggs arrive??? I hatched eggs from Bargain .... I only had 6 out of 45 hatch and one died ..... It was heartbreaking. I have one of her Orps now a black ..... but not sure if I will keep it as I am over run with chicks now
hide.gif
Do you have an egg turner or are you turning by hand???

This is Mi'a out doors w/her remaining 6 chicks. Our friend who got us started w/some of her chickens is starting over. Shared some of my 2mo old chicks w/her and some of Mi'a's babies. I left her 3 Silky's, 2 Black Cochin mix, 1 EE. First thing she did was take a dirt bath. Wasn't too long before one of the babies was doing the same.

This is RC my Rescue Chick. Blue had abandoned the nest w/this chick 1/2 hatched. It became very cold and shrink wrapped. I brought it in & put in incubator. After it warmed up a bit I put drops of water on it & carefully pealed off the dried membrane & chips of shell. Took a long time for RC to wiggle out of its rolled up position. This morning I needed to wash it to get off the remaining membrane & sticky stuff. Used a hair dryer then put back in the incubator. Trying to decide if I can reunite it w/it's Mom. He/she is a really large chick. Roo is a Blue Cochin, mother is a large black hen of unknown ancestry. (she was an egg given to me to hatch).

Back
Top Bottom