Setting eggs tomorrow night, 3/29/12, anyone want to hatch with us?

I have chicks due to hatch tomorrow. I've 3 eggs pipped since I came home from work today. One of them I'd marked with a ?, glad to see it's a good one. I can hear them peeping. One egg pipped on day 18, and I think it died the same day. I never heard it peep. There are: 2 Silky, 3 EE, & 4 Cochin mix. The one that didn't make it was a Cochin mix also.

I took all 6 of the chicks in the Brooder, along with the Cochin Momma that has adopted all of them along w/the Silky chick she hatched and moved them out to the chicken house. They got to go out in the yard and dig for bugs and run around like crazy.
wee.gif
Fun to watch. First thing Momma did was take a dirt bath!
D.gif

See if this will help. http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html I don't know if it will work on older chicks or not. Two of my Silkies had splayed legs. One was OK after about 6 hours, the other after a couple days.

Yeah her bones are too far gone... I tried making a bigger band aid splint and she kept falling over.... I took it off. I had been watching carefully as I think this one had spradle leg right out of the shell but I fixed it and she was fine.... totally fine ... for 2 - 21/2 weeks ... I almost feel like she slipped her tendon or jumped and it popped out or something ... but I have NO IDEA how to try to manipulate it and I don't want to hurt her.

OMG those are the cutest things ever!!! I have to see what they look like full grown.

I am SO DEPRESSED.... Last night I noticed one of my lavender orpingtons struggling in the brooder area. I freaked out thought she was really sick. Well she is not sick but she had MAJOR Splayed leg.... They are 3 weeks old so there is no way to fix it that I can tell.... I have no idea how I did not see this... I would open the brooder cardboard surrounding and sit with them every night after work.... It must have happened in the last week as I did not spend as much time with them as I had new chicks to attend to
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
Of course it looks to be a pullet .... and she is so sweet and lovely... I am so upset ..... I don't know what to do. I know everyone will say cull the bird but I am a city girl and even if I lived on a farm I couldn't cull a chick. I know there is no way I can introduce her to my flock. I am sick....

I'm so super duper sorry about your little girl. Prayers for the leg and the Orp to whom it's attached. yikes....it's tough being a mama, huh?

So, the BBS Orpingtons are at day 7 today and we candled again after hearing the support of all of you. Thanks again. 4 confirmed embryos, and 3 possibles... some have darkening yolks..... for the most part we're pacing ourselves. thanks guys.

So, the BBS Orpingtons are at day 7 today and we candled again after hearing the support of all of you. Thanks again. 4 confirmed embryos, and 3 possibles... some have darkening yolks..... for the most part we're pacing ourselves. thanks guys.

Yeah 4 confirmed!!!! 3 Possible!!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
Come on little chickies!!! Grow grow grow!!!

Oh and PS .....

I just got 14 BBS Marans eggs tonight!!! 5 of them are really dark and SO LOVELY!!! I hope on of those hatches and is a girl.... Time to get a better flashlight as there is NO SEEING in those.
lau.gif

Oooh Ok I will add a picture ...
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom