Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

I made a mistake today. I checked the eggs before I locked them down and I took one out that was kinda sloshing around and hadn't moved the last 2 times I had checked it and plus it had a clear spot on the opposite end of the air cell and on the side. Well my son knocked it off the counter and it was a fully formed chick, kicking and trying to breathe. Poor thing was really small and it's intestines were hanging out. Traumatic. I don't know if I can handle hatching anymore. Not to mention I've had a neighbor's dog that's killed my rooster, a hen and yesterday it killed my first duck that I had since it was a day old.
Oh man, you've had a bad time lately. I'm so sorry.
Susan

Holy cow, I don't check the thread for 2 days and I have 80 post to go through.
big_smile.png

We ended up throwing out 5 that did not develop, 7 left. Not sure on the others so we left them.

I thought lockdown was on day 18? First time doing this.
hu.gif

Can't wait to see some of pics of those new chicks out there.

Holy cow, I don't check the thread for 2 days and I have 80 post to go through.
big_smile.png

We ended up throwing out 5 that did not develop, 7 left. Not sure on the others so we left them.

I thought lockdown was on day 18? First time doing this.
hu.gif

Can't wait to see some of pics of those new chicks out there.

Yes stop turning at day 18. Some of us were late night on the 15th or 16th, some a day or so before. It's a staggered hatch-a-long thread. :) I actually have a couple that I tossed into the incubator 3 days after I started the big group, so now they are in 2 incubators.

Susan - day 19

Day 19 starts at 3pm today and I'm so tempted to candle for internal pipping...but I'm going to leave them be. Incubator is steadily holding at 99.7 and 67%.

Day 19 starts at 3pm today and I'm so tempted to candle for internal pipping...but I'm going to leave them be. Incubator is steadily holding at 99.7 and 67%.

I know I can't stop looking at mine!! Hands off for me though. I have been watching them all day to look for any movement or to hear any peeps! Nothing so far...

I have two that are still pipped. One looks good but the other does not. The membrane is dark and yucky looking. I am going to wait for the good one to hatch and then I may open to check out the other one. It pipped on the bottom yesterday morning and has never broken through the membrane. I think it might have died
th.gif

I decided to look at the one I thought was dead and it was dead. It externally pipped but then died. When I opened it there was this a large red thing that looked like liver and a whole lot of green fluid in there. Its yolk sac had been absorbed. I think this is the one that had looked strange the whole time. It had a saddle shaped air sac and I thought it might be twins because of the large dark mass. It must have been some kind of hematoma or something. I still have one more that pipped 36 hours ago and no zip. It is alive because I can see its beak moving.

Do you think I should help it? It pipped 5 -6 am yesterday morning with no progress since.

Last edited:
YEAH!!!! I have 2 baby ducks..."Flip" and "Flop" Waiting from them to get a little cuter and fluffier before I move them. 2 more are zipping away. Nothing from the chickens yet....Still have till Friday before it is day 21....Thank goodness I have something else to drool over. Keep those pictures coming. As soon as we are dry and serviceable, I will take some pics of the cuteness on my end and post...THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Back
Top Bottom