Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Quote: My little silkies cost $7.50 each if I figure it up by number hatched! Oh well it is worth it. Although last year every egg we hatched turned out to be a BOY! Hopefully this year I will end up with a few hens
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you for suggesting the Sally Sunshine article. I must of read it 10 times. I finaly had two chicks dated the 16th pip and 14 hrs. later zip and they are doing great!!
Then it seems the two eggs from the 15th ere having problems. I could faintly hear them inside so decided to see if they needed assistance per Sally Sunshine article.
Its a good thing I checked. I scored a small opening and it seems as if they were stuck under the membrane. Shrink wrap???? I carefully zipped the end cap as if they would zip and I then softened the membrane with warm water and then wrapped the shells with wet paper towels and continune to hydarte ever hour on the hour.Once I saw that the blood veins were absorbed I helped roll down the the tight membrane passed the wings and within an hour they were both out
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
So thats 4 chickies
woot.gif

I then have 5 remaining eggs from the 14th. I candeled them and noticed a huge air space. oh no! are hey shrink wraping too?
I did the float test and they seemed good so I made a small score on them same thing except one seems to have alot of fluid inside and thick veins???? Super late chick???
I piped and zipped the 4 leaving the cap on for them to removed them selfs and hydrated the membranes. jake up the humidity to 80 degrees and wrapped the eggs in warm wet paper towels.
As for the the one with the fluid inside, and the chick is moving, do I give him a small hole to breath or is he still growing and is just super late forming? Does he need help?
barnie.gif
What is that fluid is it bad??

I think I will make my next bator myself. this little giant is such pain in my a##.
he.gif

It's the 22nd day for me and still nothing! When should I start thinking about assisting/investigating?!!

12 are out now and at least 10 more have pipped!! Very exciting!! Went ahead and took 6 of them out to the brooder and got them settled. Can't wait till hatching is done so I can see how many I am going to have!!

I have a chick that hatched and it looks like it's egg sack and stuff is still attached. What do you do about that? I am getting nervous about the other eggs. I think I have more gray hairs this time around too! I noticed two that pipped yesterday haven't made it. They were peeping and stuff but now they're not.

Thank you for suggesting the Sally Sunshine article. I must of read it 10 times. I finaly had two chicks dated the 16th pip and 14 hrs. later zip and they are doing great!!
Then it seems the two eggs from the 15th ere having problems. I could faintly hear them inside so decided to see if they needed assistance per Sally Sunshine article.
Its a good thing I checked. I scored a small opening and it seems as if they were stuck under the membrane. Shrink wrap???? I carefully zipped the end cap as if they would zip and I then softened the membrane with warm water and then wrapped the shells with wet paper towels and continune to hydarte ever hour on the hour.Once I saw that the blood veins were absorbed I helped roll down the the tight membrane passed the wings and within an hour they were both out
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
So thats 4 chickies
woot.gif

I then have 5 remaining eggs from the 14th. I candeled them and noticed a huge air space. oh no! are hey shrink wraping too?
I did the float test and they seemed good so I made a small score on them same thing except one seems to have alot of fluid inside and thick veins???? Super late chick???
I piped and zipped the 4 leaving the cap on for them to removed them selfs and hydrated the membranes. jake up the humidity to 80 degrees and wrapped the eggs in warm wet paper towels.
As for the the one with the fluid inside, and the chick is moving, do I give him a small hole to breath or is he still growing and is just super late forming? Does he need help?
barnie.gif

I think I will make my next bator myself. this little giant is such pain in my a##.
he.gif

How big is the aircell on that one? is it much smaller than the others? Maybe he's just late and hasn't grown enough. I'm not sure; I am only on my 4th hatch myself. but glad you were able to help the others. Might give him some more time and see what he does.

celebrate.gif
Well 7 are out this morning and it looks like the other 3 are alive and working on it; two of them are mostly unzipped and the other one is pipped pretty well. I have been very pleased with the performance of the new (to me) redwood 'bator. It has kept very steady temps and while the hygrometer I have is probably a peice of garbage, it has at least been humid enough that we are not getting shrink wrapped. I have a new digi set up coming from GQF so hopefully will soon know the true amount of humidity in there!

(I have a cheap walmart one and just have a hard time believing that with the water pans and sponges full on top in front of the fan, with an additional tray of water right under the eggs and the hygrometer that it is only 27% in there.)

Last edited:
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
So thats 4 chickies
woot.gif

barnie.gif

he.gif

I did ok with the Little Giant. I do think the humidity was just not going to stay up, next time I'll probably keep the room with the incubator in it separated from the whole house heater, and add a room humidifier... which.. when you think about it is because the LG is loosing too much humidity to the room. When I did a Summer hatch I did not have that problem.

As for helping the one you have now.. I just don't know what I would do. Probably research it a ton before doing anything.

Susan

After watching it for a minute I think that it's actually it's intestines hanging out and not the yolk sac like I originally thought. Will this chick make it? Can I help it?

I'm worry, but I would cull that baby personally. Those are its intestines and even if they manage to get inside it will likely get "mush chick disease" from having its insides exposed to bacteria.

After watching it for a minute I think that it's actually it's intestines hanging out and not the yolk sac like I originally thought. Will this chick make it? Can I help it?

Back
Top Bottom