setting up hunting land? any ideas or tips? all welcomed.

Think food and seclusion. Also too many does can mean no bucks until the rut.

Food plots and nut and fruit trees help a lot. Whitetails love to browse in the green months and any low growth could be what they want. Multi-flora rose around here is liked summer and winter they eat the tips off of it.

Bedding areas, which you NEVER hunt except the trails in and out of them and never let your scent blow directly into them. guys talk all this hidge cutting and weird stuff. Pick an area you want them to bed and cut all the trees for firewood and in a couple years it will be so thick they will bed in in. Conifer trees like pines and cedars make great bedding areas so consider them too.

The one farm we hunt the deer seem to meander all over the place. You have a hard time predicting which trail they use. Making funnels makes them easier to hunt. deer will take the easy path. A hole in the fence and they will go through the hole. A small clump of trees and they will funnel through it than go into the field many times.

My B-I-L discovered that the black bear have sorta moved into the area because the guy who owns the property south of his is feeding them all sorts of stuff year round. The guy seems to think he is Grizzly Adams or something - he feeds the bears by hand. He has them licking frosting off paper plates that he holds.
Back to topic, B-I-L has discovered that the whitetail deer population has gone way down. Black bear are the #1 predator of whitetail fawns.

Think food and seclusion. Also too many does can mean no bucks until the rut.

Food plots and nut and fruit trees help a lot. Whitetails love to browse in the green months and any low growth could be what they want. Multi-flora rose around here is liked summer and winter they eat the tips off of it.

Bedding areas, which you NEVER hunt except the trails in and out of them and never let your scent blow directly into them. guys talk all this hidge cutting and weird stuff. Pick an area you want them to bed and cut all the trees for firewood and in a couple years it will be so thick they will bed in in. Conifer trees like pines and cedars make great bedding areas so consider them too.

The one farm we hunt the deer seem to meander all over the place. You have a hard time predicting which trail they use. Making funnels makes them easier to hunt. deer will take the easy path. A hole in the fence and they will go through the hole. A small clump of trees and they will funnel through it than go into the field many times.
thank you :)

we have a lot of bedding areas then, as some parts of the land where cut pretty thin about 10 years ago, now there so thick no one wants to walk through them. and our swamp is a nightmare to get through.

i agree it's tough to find what trail they use. but just got back a few days ago from a coyote hunting trip from the land, not much deer sign but quite a bit of elk and three moose (one big bull my dad said from the tracks, and a cow and calf)

My B-I-L discovered that the black bear have sorta moved into the area because the guy who owns the property south of his is feeding them all sorts of stuff year round. The guy seems to think he is Grizzly Adams or something - he feeds the bears by hand. He has them licking frosting off paper plates that he holds.
Back to topic, B-I-L has discovered that the whitetail deer population has gone way down. Black bear are the #1 predator of whitetail fawns.
sorry to hear about your deer population going down. and i don't think what you said is off topic at all :)

but he must be crazy to feed bears by hand lol.

good to know that bears hit the fawns hard, also does not help that we have a fair amount of wolves and now the odd mountain lion in the area. will have to hunt them then.

thank you :)

we have a lot of bedding areas then, as some parts of the land where cut pretty thin about 10 years ago, now there so thick no one wants to walk through them. and our swamp is a nightmare to get through.

i agree it's tough to find what trail they use. but just got back a few days ago from a coyote hunting trip from the land, not much deer sign but quite a bit of elk and three moose (one big bull my dad said from the tracks, and a cow and calf)
Sound like a lot brush. Do you have someone farm the cleared land on your property? . Do you know some of the history on the land? Do you have any over head pictures of the property like Google maps Or auditors map pics? Sound like it would be full of brush and grass eating animals like deer. I have this smaller chunk of my property on my 23 acre parcel it's about 3 acres, that use to be farm land. I'm currently working on clearing it. It's pretty grown up with small to medium sized trees no good lumber and a ton of thorn bushes and brush getting thicker year after year. It's back breaking work clearing it with a weedeater and chan saw but why not.

Any way I digress.

Like I was saying I was out clearing late and 6 deer poped out of the weeds . You could see where they were beded down. Pretty cool. I don't hunt, never did but I could not believe how many deer were hiding in just 3acres of brush. On my way back I saw more deer running out of the brush. My dad use to hunt deer I wasn't interested enough to hunt on my own though.

Last edited:
Sound like a lot brush. Do you have someone farm the cleared land on your property? . Do you know some of the history on the land? Do you have any over head pictures of the property like Google maps Or auditors map pics? Sound like it would be full of brush and grass eating animals like deer. I have this smaller chunk of my property on my 23 acre parcel it's about 3 acres, that use to be farm land. I'm currently working on clearing it. It's pretty grown up with small to medium sized trees no good lumber and a ton of thorn bushes and brush getting thicker year after year. It's back breaking work clearing it with a weedeater and chan saw but why not.

Any way I digress.

Like I was saying I was out clearing late and 6 deer poped out of the weeds . You could see where they were beded down. Pretty cool. I don't hunt, never did but I could not believe how many deer were hiding in just 3acres of brush. On my way back I saw more deer running out of the brush. My dad use to hunt deer I wasn't interested enough to hunt on my own though.
i will try to answer your questions.

the land was homesteaded, back a long time ago, was told from previous owner they had to carry all there stuff about a 30 days trip on there backs to get to the land to homestead it. pretty much the land was used for cattle and kinda cleared about 10 years ago now the bush is growing in thicker.

the land that is cleared (about 20 acres) is hay land and is farmed.

and yes it is loaded with deer (only white tail) moose, elk and bear.

i will try to answer your questions.

the land was homesteaded, back a long time ago, was told from previous owner they had to carry all there stuff about a 30 days trip on there backs to get to the land to homestead it. pretty much the land was used for cattle and kinda cleared about 10 years ago now the bush is growing in thicker.

the land that is cleared (about 20 acres) is hay land and is farmed.

and yes it is loaded with deer (only white tail) moose, elk and bear.
That is so cool thankyou. I'm Always interested in land and it's history. Another 10 years down the road and some big trees should come up and kill some of that under brush. It will look nicer And be easier to walk through.

Back
Top Bottom