Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
I almost bought one but the sales associate said that would fry them. I chose a lower 125-watt bulb and that was still too much trying to brood a dozen day-old fuzzy butts in my bathroom, so it had to be suspended more than two feet over their enclosure.

And you'll have to raise it again and again. I brooded my first 12 in a bathtub in the house in 2012. The bathroom was unbelievably hot and that was with a reptile remote pickup thermostat controlling the light. I used the Mama Heating pad for the 2015's and 2017's. Far better for the birds. They were in the house for a couple of days, then out in the barn. The 2015's went under a broody hen to raise. She wasn't interested in the 2017s (best laid plans of mice and men!) so they had their MHP cave in the brooder area of the coop for 3 weeks, THEN she decided she would raise them.

Be careful with their salt content/intake. Too much is not good for them. --BB
They don't get much. Bacon/sausage happens only once a week.

processed meats are high in sodium
Wake up call to read the labels to see what exactly is in our processed foods. If something as innocent as a light bulb that could kill poultry, then we need to see what else is looming out there that could cause harm to humans and animals. Some manufacturers toot "acceptable levels" of this or that contaminant which can't be avoided in our foods/water today.

Back
Top Bottom