Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
View attachment 1236049 There’s a lot of dust in the air as there were a lot of feathers flapping just before I got this. They’re definitely faster than my old girls. Here is Sir Lane standing tall among them though- I think he’s a happy rooster today. I’m going to give them an hour to chill out, then I’m bringing fresh water and a treat before lights out. They’re so active I don’t dare leave a warming lamp on overnight like I did before. One already laid an egg on the way home too!
I hope the roads were good and the weather cooperated within reason. --BB

Was your Roo shocked when he saw all the girls coming in? :D
Lol, I had shooed him into the run area so I could add fresh wood shavings and fill the food and water. Then I brought them in and as soon as I opened the first box he was doing the watusi. They were not quite as impressed with the giant dancer at first- but seem to be relaxing a bit. Not sure how long before they’ll ever let me hold them! I hope soon!

Congrats!
I'd be patient about the holding, give them a couple days to calm down, then maybe handle a few off the roost after dark. That egg laid on the way home, was in process for ~24 hours. You may get a few more tomorrow, but then they may stop laying from the moving stress, so don't be too disappointed if they don't keep laying right off.
That boy does indeed look pleased!

One hen and the rooster made it through the night. The hen is on my lap at the moment and quite lethargic. The roo is lamenting the loss of his flock and crowed the whole time I was removing them. :( :hit
I just read through this and I am so sorry for your loss. I never would had thought the Teflon bulb was the culprit. But I and many others have learned something from your loss. I feel so bad for you and the couple chickens you still have.

Back
Top Bottom