Seven dust

Tracyjean

In the Brooder
May 21, 2022
I sprinkled on floor around the inside of pen of my chickens but they eat off ground if they eat it will it hurt them?

Before they changed the way they determined these things the answer was no. In the1970's and 1980's they ran tests with Sevin to see if it caused harm when used to dust chickens for mites and lice. The criteria was "can you prove that it causes harm" because it is impossible to prove the negative. There is no way that you can prove that sometime in the future someone will not come up with a way that it could possibly cause harm. From the tests they ran no one could show that Sevin, if used as recommended, caused harm. They would groom themselves and eat some of the dust.

Then a few years back they changed the criteria. It went from "does it cause harm" to "is there any residue left after a certain amount of time". Using the same test data from the 1970's and 1980's they found some residue was left so now Sevin is not recommended for use on chickens to treat for mites or lice. I had an interesting discussion with a poultry science professor that specialized in chicken diseases that was not real happy with that change. But that is the current criteria.

Personally I would not worry about it, I doubt they will eat enough to harm themselves or pass anything harmful to you through their eggs. But that is my opinion. Others will disagree.

Back
Top Bottom