Seven Dwarves Chalet

TrueBlueKYGirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Northern Kentucky

I spent the last couple weeks preparing the foundation of the run. I repurposed 4x4 post and rebar for a site that makes up a 10x15 run. Under the shed used galvanized cloth wire. I buried the cloth about 2 feet down, used large head roofing nails to attach it to the shed frame. Then ran a 1x6 across the top over it to provide a stronger hold. The addition is 4 feet out and that will be covered with a fiberglass roof. I plan to extend it out further, but gave a 4x10 covered area as a start. I'm fortunate and was able to pick up my lumber really cheap from a local big-box hardware store. I was able to pick up a good amount of lumber from their "pulp" pile for a dollar a piece. I also hung a full size screen door inside the right shed door, that was just laying around in the garage. I'm excited to work on the inside, but want to get the run finished so the girls can get outside. I have a question, instead of purchasing 5 gallon buckets for roosting, do you think cat litter boxes will work? The opening is a rectangle, not as large as a 5gallon bucket, but as deep.

I spent the last couple weeks preparing the foundation of the run. I repurposed 4x4 post and rebar for a site that makes up a 10x15 run. Under the shed used galvanized cloth wire. I buried the cloth about 2 feet down, used large head roofing nails to attach it to the shed frame. Then ran a 1x6 across the top over it to provide a stronger hold. The addition is 4 feet out and that will be covered with a fiberglass roof. I plan to extend it out further, but gave a 4x10 covered area as a start. I'm fortunate and was able to pick up my lumber really cheap from a local big-box hardware store. I was able to pick up a good amount of lumber from their "pulp" pile for a dollar a piece. I also hung a full size screen door inside the right shed door, that was just laying around in the garage. I'm excited to work on the inside, but want to get the run finished so the girls can get outside. I have a question, instead of purchasing 5 gallon buckets for roosting, do you think cat litter boxes will work? The opening is a rectangle, not as large as a 5gallon bucket, but as deep.

I suppose a cat litter box would work OK. It seems that if you can build walls then it would not be a stretch to build a shelf with dividers out of wood for boxes. Add a front lip to keep the bedding in and you are good to go! I like to put carpet remnants in the next box bottom and then wood chips or hay for the nest.

Back
Top Bottom