Several Questions on getting started…… chickens/turkeys!!!

TommyBird

Hatching
Feb 26, 2023
I’m looking for some advice. I have 25 Buff Orpingtons and 10 White Turkeys on the way! And I’ve never owned a chicken before 🙈

Because they’re coming together in the same box I plan to raise them that way, at least as long as I can. Then I only need one brooder set up. I will butcher all the turkeys and I would like to keep all my chicken hens for eggs and a couple of the best roosters and then butcher the remaining ones. They are coming unsexed.
Ideally turkeys and roosters would be ready at the five month mark together.

1) Can I raise my chickens and turkeys together on 26% turkey starter for the first 8 weeks and then switch everything to turkey grower?
* At this point I would be pulling my hens and keeper roosters from the mix for a more free range style of growing*

2) Wondering about feeding the chickens/turkeys. Medicated feed or not. I opted not to do the vaccinations. Can chickens be on turkey medicated starter? Is the medicated feed alright if we plan to eat these birds?

3) How much rolled or whole oats can I supplement these birds with? We put up our own so it would really cut back costs by feeding oats but I don’t want to interfere with weight gain.

4) Will the birds still gain as much if they have some access to pasture?

5) Does anybody have experience butchering the turkeys or chickens at 5 months. Any idea on the weights I may get? 15-20 lbs is plenty for us. But will there be enough breast meat?

6) What if I left them all on 26% turkey starter and mixed oats with it? Or, I’ve seen 36% protein poultry feed. Does anybody know what to mix it with to get the right ratios?

Thanks everyone!! 😊

Are these broad breasted turkeys or heritage? That can make a big difference on how you raise them. I personally wouldn't add in oats. It will unbalance the diet. I never add any treats until they are at least 8 weeks unless it's scrambled eggs, than use extras sparingly.

Chicks can be raised on higher protein, poults shouldn't be on a lower protein especially if you are looking to butcher them as a lower protein can slow down growth.

I raise chicks and poults on 26%
BO will not be as meaty as store CX.
Some heritage weights at 16 wks

Screenshot_20210909-085240.png

Cooking based on age
Screenshot_20201124-175957.png

If the turkeys are heritage, the jakes would dress out 10 to 16 lbs at 6 months.
More likely they are BBW and are meant to be dressed at 16 to 20 wks and would be in your size range.

1) Can I raise my chickens and turkeys together on 26% turkey starter for the first 8 weeks and then switch everything to turkey grower?
Yes although I prefer a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter. When they cut back on the protein percentage, it usually isn't the only ingredient they are skimping on. The lysine, methionine and niacin content is very important too, especially for your BBW turkeys.
2) Wondering about feeding the chickens/turkeys. Medicated feed or not. I opted not to do the vaccinations. Can chickens be on turkey medicated starter? Is the medicated feed alright if we plan to eat these birds?
Most turkey and game bird starter feeds are not medicated. Chickens can eat medicated turkey feed. The medication is usually amprolium which is a thiamine blocker. Thiamine is important in the development of poults which is just one of the reasons medicated turkey feed is not necessarily good for poults.

If you do not have a problem with coccidiosis where you live, I would not use medicated feed.
4) Will the birds still gain as much if they have some access to pasture?
If you allow them pasture access, they will be healthier. It will slow down their weight gain but not by too much.
5) Does anybody have experience butchering the turkeys or chickens at 5 months. Any idea on the weights I may get? 15-20 lbs is plenty for us. But will there be enough breast meat?
At 5 months your BBW toms may well be pushing 30 lbs. dressed weight. The hens should be in the low 20 lb. range.
6) What if I left them all on 26% turkey starter and mixed oats with it? Or, I’ve seen 36% protein poultry feed. Does anybody know what to mix it with to get the right ratios?
The longer you leave them on the starter, the faster they will grow. In order to know what ratio to mix the 36% protein feed with the lower protein feed you need to know the protein content of the lower protein feed first.

Last edited:
Yes although I prefer a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter. When they cut back on the protein percentage, it usually isn't the only ingredient they are skipping on. The lysine, methionine and niacin content is very important too, especially for your BBW turkeys.

Most turkey and game bird starter feeds are not medicated. Chickens can eat medicated turkey feed. The medication is usually amprolium which is a thiamine blocker. Thiamine is important in the development of poults which is just one of the reasons medicated turkey feed is not necessarily good for poults.

If you do not have a problem with coccidiosis where you live, I would not use medicated feed.

If you allow them pasture access, they will be healthier. I will slow down their weight gain but not by too much.

At 5 months your BBW toms may well be pushing 30 lbs. dressed weight. The hens should be in the low 20 lb. range.

The longer you leave them on the starter, the faster they will grow. In order to know what ratio to mix the 36% protein feed with the lower protein feed yoou need to know the protein content of the lower protein feed first.
This is very helpful thank you very much! And to everybody else who replied!

Back
Top Bottom