Several questions

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
Hello! I've bee trying to compile my questions for one big post instead of several small ones.

It's gotten much cooler out (it's only 75 right now), but my chickens (16 weeks) seem to be so lazy. They're very active the first hour of their free range time in the afternoon, and eventually lay down while one - three of them dust bathe. They seem to do the majority of their scratching or preening when I'm out in the run with them. Otherwise, I seem to spend a lot of time under the coop in their run (it's 158 sq ft for 4 of them so they have plenty of room, plus several perches). Is this normal? I don't think they hate their run because if I yell chickens and have a scoop of feed in my hand, they immediately go straight into their run. I've considered boredom, but they have a bale of straw that they can get on and dig through (this has been amazing -- I just move it around the coop so they can help me with deep litter), they have several perches and branches and logs that they can jump up on. I'm not sure what else I can do for them?

Also, do your chickens "yell" at you for food every time you go out there? Even if I bring them like the leafy carrot top which they seem to love, they'll immediately start yelling for more. As they've gotten bigger, they've gotten much louder. My husband told me the other day when he was taking our dogs out that my "chickens were making very weird loud noises" until they realized it was him and not me (he doesn't like them).

So while the egg production (once they start) will be awesome, I'm also the type of person that wants them to be both healthy and happy, regardless of egg production (I'm vegan, but will eat their eggs because I know how spoiled and taken care of they are -- please note as long as you treat animals with kindness and respect, I harbor no judgment to anyone who doesn't agree with me). Part of that mentality is letting their bodies do what is natural for them. I've read that during the winter their egg production will stop or slow down significantly because there's not as much sunlight during the day. Does anyone just let their chickens lay as they will or does everyone put the lights out to help? Is there a health benefit of encouraging these extra lay time?

I'm assuming they're healthy and fine because nothing seems wrong with them. They appear to be doing all of the things that a happy chicken is supposed to do. However, they have in the last few days, taken to crouching down and bracing their wings if they think I'm about to touch them or pick them up. Is this normal?

They've been pecking me a lot more, and I've taken to "pecking" them back (poking them with a finger). They know what is going to happen, I see them looking at me like they're trying to size me up and if it's worth it. Or they'll peck me and immediately jump back like it's a game. Most of the time it doesn't hurt unless they grab a finger while I'm hand feeding them, but most of the time it's just randomly at my clothes.

Sorry for all of the questions, I have officially become the crazy chicken lady. I love them so much and just want to make sure they're getting everything out of life they should be.

Hello! I've bee trying to compile my questions for one big post instead of several small ones.

It's gotten much cooler out (it's only 75 right now), but my chickens (16 weeks) seem to be so lazy. They're very active the first hour of their free range time in the afternoon, and eventually lay down while one - three of them dust bathe. They seem to do the majority of their scratching or preening when I'm out in the run with them. Otherwise, I seem to spend a lot of time under the coop in their run (it's 158 sq ft for 4 of them so they have plenty of room, plus several perches). Is this normal? I don't think they hate their run because if I yell chickens and have a scoop of feed in my hand, they immediately go straight into their run. I've considered boredom, but they have a bale of straw that they can get on and dig through (this has been amazing -- I just move it around the coop so they can help me with deep litter), they have several perches and branches and logs that they can jump up on. I'm not sure what else I can do for them?

Also, do your chickens "yell" at you for food every time you go out there? Even if I bring them like the leafy carrot top which they seem to love, they'll immediately start yelling for more. As they've gotten bigger, they've gotten much louder. My husband told me the other day when he was taking our dogs out that my "chickens were making very weird loud noises" until they realized it was him and not me (he doesn't like them).

So while the egg production (once they start) will be awesome, I'm also the type of person that wants them to be both healthy and happy, regardless of egg production (I'm vegan, but will eat their eggs because I know how spoiled and taken care of they are -- please note as long as you treat animals with kindness and respect, I harbor no judgment to anyone who doesn't agree with me). Part of that mentality is letting their bodies do what is natural for them. I've read that during the winter their egg production will stop or slow down significantly because there's not as much sunlight during the day. Does anyone just let their chickens lay as they will or does everyone put the lights out to help? Is there a health benefit of encouraging these extra lay time?

I'm assuming they're healthy and fine because nothing seems wrong with them. They appear to be doing all of the things that a happy chicken is supposed to do. However, they have in the last few days, taken to crouching down and bracing their wings if they think I'm about to touch them or pick them up. Is this normal?

They've been pecking me a lot more, and I've taken to "pecking" them back (poking them with a finger). They know what is going to happen, I see them looking at me like they're trying to size me up and if it's worth it. Or they'll peck me and immediately jump back like it's a game. Most of the time it doesn't hurt unless they grab a finger while I'm hand feeding them, but most of the time it's just randomly at my clothes.

Sorry for all of the questions, I have officially become the crazy chicken lady. I love them so much and just want to make sure they're getting everything out of life they should be.
It sounds like you are doing a great job of looking after your pullets. As long as they are active some of the time, digging, exploring etc. I wouldn't worry. Chickens don't deal with heat all that well and may be resting under the coop to beat the heat or just taking a break.
Chickens can be very loud at times. Once yours start laying, they will probably get even louder during whatever part of the day that they lay. There's a lot of drama around getting those eggs laid!
It sounds to me like yours will be laying soon. The crouching and bracing is squatting which many birds begin to do a week or so before they start to lay. Not all birds squat. I have two out of ten who don't squat for me, but the rest do.
I believe that many people don't provide lights for their birds. I am not providing lights now, but will in the dead of winter because I live very north and we get very little light in winter (and conversely it never gets dark in summer). Most pullets will lay through their first winter without supplemental lighting since they are young.
I have one sassy girl in particular who sometimes sneaks up and pecks me from behind or runs up and pecks my shoe. I do the same as you and peck her back until she gets the message. I think it is just her personality!
I don't know if you have the space or inclination, but my girls favourite diversion in their run is the compost pile. They spend tons of happy time digging around in there ☺️.
Hopefully some others will chime in with advice, but I really think that you are doing fine.:highfive:

my girls favourite diversion in their run is the compost pile
If my understanding is correct, the deep litter method is essentially a big compost pile. Do you put a lot of food scraps in yours? I know I can throw certain foods in their for compost because they don't like them and won't eat them (okra and celery). But I don't want to "overfeed" them the treats.

thank you so much for answering everything!

If my understanding is correct, the deep litter method is essentially a big compost pile. Do you put a lot of food scraps in yours? I know I can throw certain foods in their for compost because they don't like them and won't eat them (okra and celery). But I don't want to "overfeed" them the treats.

thank you so much for answering everything!
Yes, that's true, deep litter is a compost pile. I put pretty much all of our food scraps in their compost even if it isn't something they really eat (orange peels) because I know that it will break down with all their digging. I make an exception for things like rhubarb leaves that are not safe for them (as far as I know) or more than a single slice of bread as I don't think that is good to have in great quantities.
I put things like that into a different compost that they don't have access to.
Yesterday I dug out some of the compost my industrious little workers helped create.

IMG_20210916_110524402.jpg

Adding light in the winter is not something everyone does. If all goes well the hen will lay the number of eggs her body had at hatch. If encouraged to lay in winter she will not lay eggs for as many years. Health wise I would think it is better to let their bodies take the normal winter break. You will most likely get eggs this winter as your pullets are just going into lay. Also deep litter does not usually mean adding food scraps and such to form compost. It often just means adding what ever type of bedding you are using over the top of the old bedding with out a complete clean out.

Resting in midday is normal -- like many other birds, chickens are naturally active at dawn and dusk.

Squatting is a sign that eggs should be coming soon! When a hen squats at my feet I give her a little back massage. Soon my cockerel will mature enough to take over that duty.

Mine charge the fence when they see me because they expect me to have something for them. They get quite excited. :)

Is this something they enjoy? Three of them aren’t huge fans of me touching them.
You may find that they become friendlier and more accepting of being touched once they start laying. I try to respect my chickens' wishes and not touch the ones that don't like it unless necessary for their health.
Squatting is what they do to show their readiness to mate. When you massage their back, they give a little shake of their feathers just like they do after mating. I think they equate being touched in that way with mating.

Back
Top Bottom