Several random questions about smoke, nests and feathers

the_peep_squad

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
My chickens are now a little over 3 months old. My 8 chicks ended up being 5 males and 3 females. The males have been rehomed to what was promised to be pet home. Fingers crossed.

1. I've noticed a lot of feathers in the run. Primarily they seem to be Sophia's feathers, but that might be more because her white feathers stick out more than Dorothy's black feathers or Rose's brown.

How much feather loss is too much? They don't seem ragged looking nor are there any bald patches.

2. Is poor air quality an issue? The wild fires are making the air here pretty bad. My husband is worried about chicken lungs. He has been asking if we should bring them back inside (in the brooder) but I think they would hate that since the brooder is 2x3x2 (we would need a lid to keep them in) and the coop and run is 4x8 with a 6ft ceiling.

3. How early should I put nests in and should I add ceramic eggs? The two nesting areas are empty right now.

My coop is a prefab kit and the nesting area is not blocked off. It has 4 nesting areas but i took out the two center spots and added two roosting bars higher up because the roosting bars it came with sit less than an inch off the bottom of the coop. They never used the bars, just sleep in the litter. This change just happened so hopefully they will use the new bars.

They are experiencing a normal 'chick' molt.

Unless the particulate level is particularly high, they should be fine.

Somewhere around 16 weeks I would add nesting materials and nest eggs.

Enjoy your flock, and good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom