Several unknown deaths - Necropsy results

This stuff is all new to me, so I don't understand all of it. I'm all ears for any opinions or suggestions.

Necropsy interpretive summary

The disease process and cause of death of this chicken is presumed to have been related to shock and pulmonary congestion without definitive etiology. An enlarged heart may have contributed to these lesions. The lungs and liver had marked and diffuse hyperemia which may be interpreted as congestion. Multi-organ congestion may be an indication of shock. The fundamental defect in shock is reduced perfusion of vital tissues. The shock may have been due to low circulating volume (hypovolemic shock) or vasodilation (distributive shock). Hypovolemic shock is caused by a critical decrease in intravascular volume which may have been caused by fluid losses or inadequate fluid intake. Distributive shock results from a relative inadequacy of intravascular volume caused by arterial or venous vasodilation. This leads to pooling of blood and hypotension because of "relative" hypovolemia. Right-sided heart failure can also cause pulmonary and hepatic congestion.

Lesions were not observed within the heart microscopically, however the heart did appear rounded and enlarged grossly. Round Heart Disease in chickens may cause acute cardiac failure. It is usually associated with myocardial degeneration which was not noted in this case. Acute electrical conduction failure through the thickened myocardium may have possibly played a role in cardiac failure. A definitive cause of the enlarged and hyperemic spleen was not determined via histopathology. An enlarged spleen may be reactive to bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections. E. coli was isolated from the lungs and intestines, however significant inflammation was not observed within either of these organs or associated anywhere with bacteria on microscopic exam. The Mycoplasma culture was compromised by bacterial contaminants and did yield results. Lesions comparable to Mycoplasma were not observed on microscopic exam. Parasites were not seen on fecal examination. Viruses were not isolated from the sampled tissues. PCR testing for both Avian Influenza and Exotic Newcastle Disease yielded negative results. Causes of the observed non-specific lesions and acute death which were not ruled out include, but are not limited to, aflatoxin or phytotoxin exposure, pesticide exposure, exposure to gases or fumes, or acute congestive heart failure.

Aflatoxicosis has the same toxic effects in poultry as it does in mammals. A dose of 0.25 ppm in turkey pouts and ducklings impairs growth, and a dose of 1.5 ppm in broilers and 4 ppm in Japanese quail has a negative affect on growth. An increase in blood clotting time increases the susceptibility of the carcass to bruising even at doses below that to have an affect on growth. In poultry, aflatoxins impair the availability of bile salts, which decreases Vitamin D3 production. This causes a decrease in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. Aflatoxins also decrease the production of Vitamin A in the liver, and it has secondary effects such as decreased blood calcium levels, decreased bone strength, and a decreased tissue and serum tocopherol level. This decrease in tocopherol levels can lead to Vitamin A and E deficiencies.

Phytotoxin is a plant toxin. So they might have been grazing on the same poisonous plant.

For the alfatoxon I would be looking at their feed. Or making certain there isn't any old feed on the ground that they are eating.

Bad feed is a possibility. I completely emptied the coop and did find some wet feed in the back of the feeder. Both this rooster and the hen that died had a habit of getting water in their mouths, then dropping it on the feed, then eating the wet feed. They would also do this to feed that was dropped on the floor. I'm keeping a close eye on the feeder now, just to be sure.

speckled hen had damp feed from a dealer, it's amazing how fast even an invisible fungus can sporify. Scary stuff, especially in rainy weather. The guy who inspired me to get hens mentioned to keep the water a good distance from my hopper feeder, I guess this is why. Checking mine today to reassure myself- a very good tip and thank you. I'm very sorry about your losses.

Last edited:
so sad! Here in florida i worry about mold and fungus alot. Atleast you ruled out some bad ones that could have infected your whole flock!
hugs.gif

They didn't test for a virus? That just blows my mind, since there are 6 or 8 or 10 poultry viruses, right?

Quote:
First sentance indicates that none were found in the tissues they sampled. Second here indicates virus testing:

Viruses were not isolated from the sampled tissues. PCR testing for both Avian Influenza and Exotic Newcastle Disease yielded negative results.

Last edited:
Quote:
First sentance indicates that none were found in the tissues they sampled. Second here indicates virus testing:

Viruses were not isolated from the sampled tissues. PCR testing for both Avian Influenza and Exotic Newcastle Disease yielded negative results.

This sounds like they did "try" to isolate viruses but were unsuccessful, so they looked but didn't find any. I'm betting on mold in the feed, somehow. If they drop wet feed back in the feeder, there could be damp "dust" in there that cakes on the sides. I have my water far from my feeder, and I know there is a lot of dust that piles in the base of my feeder - if it got damp, it could start breeding something fairly quickly...
hide.gif

Good luck, hope you have no more chicken deaths and moving the feed and/or water solves the problem.
fl.gif

They did test virus. Under the Virology section, virus isolation all negative.

I will move all the water and food containers away from each other. Seems like a very good suggestion and easy to do.

So far everyone else is doing well. I have one hen who is not a good weight, but most of them are going through a molt now and have been through periods of being broody. I'm giving them extra protein and keeping a close eye on them.

I'm trying to give all the birds some free-range time. I just have to rotate everyone. The group that free-ranges all the time are plump and healthy. They hardly eat any feed.

Back
Top Bottom