Severe buffalo gnat attack chicks barely alive

Unfortunately two died last night, but the other is doing okay. Right now we have a fan on them to help. I also put out dryer sheets and vanilla on them since that’s all I had on hand. We live really rural, but after work today I’m going to get nutridrench, electrolytes, and permethrin. I am nervous about using permethrin though since we have a cat.
Thanks for all the responses. I knew the gnats were bad this year but never expected them to take over the chickens so fast. I usually don’t react much to gnats but I’m also covered in whelps so I don’t know if it’s a different variety or what
As long as you aren't spraying the cat itself it should be fine.

Unfortunately two died last night, but the other is doing okay. Right now we have a fan on them to help. I also put out dryer sheets and vanilla on them since that’s all I had on hand. We live really rural, but after work today I’m going to get nutridrench, electrolytes, and permethrin. I am nervous about using permethrin though since we have a cat.
Thanks for all the responses. I knew the gnats were bad this year but never expected them to take over the chickens so fast. I usually don’t react much to gnats but I’m also covered in whelps so I don’t know if it’s a different variety or what

Sorry to hear about the losses :( i have two outdoors cats who werent bothered by the spray and i sprayed 4 times so far. The rains keep forcing me to treat the yard again and again or the gnats come back after the rain.

An update?
Lost 2 silkies that night and one made it. It was really odd that my 3 black silkies were attacked the most and my white, buff, and paint didn’t even have bites on them. I’m spraying permethrin every few days because we’be been getting so much rain and it’s helping a little bit. They also have a fan to help. Cat is doing just fine with the permethrin spray. I’ve heard from a few people in my area that they’re losing a lot of chickens to the gnats this year. I think it’s messing with the wild birds too because I’ve found several dead robins in my yard this week.

0D87173E-0444-4FF6-B6A4-7E1D704104C5.jpeg
C7331F5E-E6AC-49D2-9F81-52491330ECC6.jpeg

Lost 2 silkies that night and one made it. It was really odd that my 3 black silkies were attacked the most and my white, buff, and paint didn’t even have bites on them. I’m spraying permethrin every few days because we’be been getting so much rain and it’s helping a little bit. They also have a fan to help. Cat is doing just fine with the permethrin spray. I’ve heard from a few people in my area that they’re losing a lot of chickens to the gnats this year. I think it’s messing with the wild birds too because I’ve found several dead robins in my yard this week.

Im really glad to hear u didnt loose anymore and your actively spraying such good news! Thanks! And those pics are too cute! But those arent silkies... w naked necks...

Back
Top Bottom