Severe Bumblefoot help

Mom0oshka

Hatching
Nov 2, 2023
This is my first experience with Bumblefoot.. after research ( and vet thats on vaca and scheduling is weeks out) I knew I had to remove the scab and get the infection out. Foot and toes all swollen. I thought I got it but there was no big kernel like everyone said. So next day we soaked and my husband helped me squeeze. Out came the huge kernel and some stringy slimey glob. She had swelling between the toes so popped kernel out there. Today I brought her in to change dressings and it is less swollen but still has infection smell.upon squeezing after soaking there was pus yellow liquid coming from the top .. . there is a hard moveable ball between toes but there is no swelling there. There is nothing like that on the healthy foot so I’m wondering if that’s infection that needs removed ? And that’s why is still smells so bad? Gah.. I wish I could as more experienced to know what she needs to get better faster’ thanks for any advice ! Sorry I should have take a photo but I was working solo

Please get some photos. It's hard to tell what's going on since we can't see it. It does sound like you have gotten some pus out, but there may be a lot more.

Meanwhile, look around here on BYC for more treatments that people have tried. Use the search function (top right of the page) and you find a lot of threads and posts about bumblefoot.

Unwrapped her gauze were soaked and it’s oozing pus. I’m just not sure what I need to do.
IMG_6072.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6075.jpeg
    IMG_6075.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 26
There is a hard moveable ball on the back side of her outer toe but that’s one place there is no swelling. Clearly from the smell, ooz and swelling there is something that’s yet to come out !?

I wouldn’t worry yet (personally) about the not yet swollen area-
I’d focus on the spots you have opened up.

Is she isolated, or with her flock?

Continue the Epsom salt soaks.
Adding a vetricyn spray after soaking will help dry things out a bit, let her feet dry off a bit after spraying, and I’d recommend (regular, NO pain killer) neosporin or name brand triple antibiotic ointment, wrap it, repeat at least twice daily.

You will know in another day or so if you need to work on getting more out of the sores- but keeping it clean, and wrapped, will help a lot!

Check out Found bumblefoot cure. There's a post by someone who used a green Epsom poultice for horses on her duck and I believe she said it worked where even antibiotics didn't.

I wouldn’t worry yet (personally) about the not yet swollen area-
I’d focus on the spots you have opened up.

Is she isolated, or with her flock?

Continue the Epsom salt soaks.
Adding a vetricyn spray after soaking will help dry things out a bit, let her feet dry off a bit after spraying, and I’d recommend (regular, NO pain killer) neosporin or name brand triple antibiotic ointment, wrap it, repeat at least twice daily.

You will know in another day or so if you need to work on getting more out of the sores- but keeping it clean, and wrapped, will help a lot!
Thanks so much. After soaks and still having smelly drainage, warm foot with some swelling I actually ended up cutting an incision on the area that wasn’t swollen that felt the hard moveable object and it was a hard kernel, there was still a little bit of solid pus between the other toes I removed and after vet spray, Epsom soaks and triple antibiotic ointment wraps she is free of infection and her foot has no open wounds.. yay! I guess bumble foot is something i had to experience to wrap my head around lol now that I have a better understanding of the cause, what to do and look for I feel if this ever happens again I will be better equipped:) thanks for all the help and advice!

This is my first experience with Bumblefoot.. after research ( and vet thats on vaca and scheduling is weeks out) I knew I had to remove the scab and get the infection out. Foot and toes all swollen. I thought I got it but there was no big kernel like everyone said. So next day we soaked and my husband helped me squeeze. Out came the huge kernel and some stringy slimey glob. She had swelling between the toes so popped kernel out there. Today I brought her in to change dressings and it is less swollen but still has infection smell.upon squeezing after soaking there was pus yellow liquid coming from the top .. . there is a hard moveable ball between toes but there is no swelling there. There is nothing like that on the healthy foot so I’m wondering if that’s infection that needs removed ? And that’s why is still smells so bad? Gah.. I wish I could as more experienced to know what she needs to get better faster’ thanks for any advice ! Sorry I should have take a photo but I was working solo
well you are getting the experience now.... give it a week and you can share with us either what to do or what not to do! ; )

Back
Top Bottom