Severe feather loss

I just posted a few pics. Do you think it could just be molting? She has 14 sisters and some molted just a few feathers on the wings. This hen is losing feathers everywhere, including chest and stomach.
I’ve got 2 that currently look like that, like they literally exploded ☹️ I came home and 1 had lost her entire tail, the other her entire neck. They look pretty pathetic

Hi!

Don't worry : your hen is fine.

Some hens can have heavy molt triggered by broodiness... even if they have only been broody for a few days...

One of my Brahma hen is actually in the same situation than yours.
She was born this year, but she was already broody shortly after laying her first egg!
I did not sit her on eggs, so her broodiness did not last long... but since then, she has not been laying any egg! (Sad...) For now, she is just molting.

...Some hens DO NOT molt when they are broody (or even after)... but yours does. As long as she is not hurt, let her be : she is fine, really.

And certainly, she can be anxious and harassed by her friends, but... that is not strange : some chickens are bullied when they molt.
I don't know why... maybe the others birds link out of season - or just "WEIRD" - molts to diseases...?
(I have a Gournay hen that molts so strangely each spring she becomes really UGLY... and during the process ONLY, some hens bully her. (My old rooster did too...!!) But only until her new feathers are done and she is healthy looking again...!)

You can help your hen by giving her calcium, proteins, and/or vitamins.

For what it's worth, I am giving food grade Diatomaceous Earth to my birds.
I mix DE in their feed (in a plastic feeder, just to be careful), and I am pretty sure that is one of the reasons their feathers are so beautiful and healthy...!

(1 tablespoon on Apple Cider Vinegar per liter of water - once a week - is renowed to help birds to have shiny feathers. But be careful to use a PLASTIC waterer : DO NOT PUT VINEGAR IN METAL!!)

Breath...
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom