Severe feather loss

Zeoliter

Chirping
May 31, 2022
Japan
We have one hen that looks in bad shape. She has lost at least 50% of her feathers. This hen brooded for a long time and did a poor job. One egg hatched but we found the chick dead. Nothing else hatched so she just sat there for 6 weeks. In the end, we had to force her out, take the eggs, and block off the area. It's likely she didn't eat well during that time and has also had a hard time reintegrating with the flock. She gets picked on by one rooster and a few hens so she's permanently skittish and can never just chill out. She's last one out of the run when I let them out as she's hiding in a corner and has to run the gauntlet past the rooster who's lying in wait. And last one back in the run when I herd them in in the evening. She really doesn't want to go back in. Is the feather loss from crazy anxiety, maybe mixed in with some malnutrition? Although it's been a few weeks since we put a stop to the brooding.

Should I think about separating her? Not sure where I'd put her but I could build something I guess. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!

How long has this been ongoing?

She could be moulting. When moulting they stay far away from the rest of the flock, keep to themselves and don't want to be touched. They look sick if it's a hard moult and will barely eat.
Things like large coop space and places to hide from the others will help.

Yogurt, scrambled eggs, cat food, wet warm mash are really good for your hens when they are feeling off.
All things aside you could try separating her but keep the see but no touch so she stays with the flock while she gets better.

Good luck with your girl. Hoping she gets better for you.

Posting pics would also help here.

Chickens do molt every year, and it could be that she molted once her brooding period was over. I had a new broody hen start molting in the middle of winter, once her chicks were on their own. Being absent from the general population for a time may require some reintroduction. A wire dog crate with food and water inside the run can be a good way to accomplish that. Then later some supervised free ranging would be good before releasing her completely. But she may be vulnerable now that she is molting, so get her physically strong and built up before that. Some egg or tuna treats may help, and consider worming her, checking for lice or mites.

How long has this been ongoing?

She could be moulting. When moulting they stay far away from the rest of the flock, keep to themselves and don't want to be touched. They look sick if it's a hard moult and will barely eat.
Things like large coop space and places to hide from the others will help.

Yogurt, scrambled eggs, cat food, wet warm mash are really good for your hens when they are feeling off.
All things aside you could try separating her but keep the see but no touch so she stays with the flock while she gets better.

Good luck with your girl. Hoping she gets better for you.

Posting pics would also help here.
I've never seen a chicken molt like this. Although I'm relatively new to the game (2 years). Normally it's just a few feathers. Here's a few pics.
IMG_20231125_165653.jpg
IMG_20231125_165648.jpg

Chickens do molt every year, and it could be that she molted once her brooding period was over. I had a new broody hen start molting in the middle of winter, once her chicks were on their own. Being absent from the general population for a time may require some reintroduction. A wire dog crate with food and water inside the run can be a good way to accomplish that. Then later some supervised free ranging would be good before releasing her completely. But she may be vulnerable now that she is molting, so get her physically strong and built up before that. Some egg or tuna treats may help, and consider worming her, checking for lice or mites.
I just posted a few pics. Do you think it could just be molting? She has 14 sisters and some molted just a few feathers on the wings. This hen is losing feathers everywhere, including chest and stomach.

I've never seen a chicken molt like this. Although I'm relatively new to the game (2 years). Normally it's just a few feathers. Here's a few pics.View attachment 3691863View attachment 3691864
She looks like she's having a hard molt.
Try giving her the things suggested to eat, they will help boost her and also you could give her/all your girls some vitamin/electrolytes water also.

I'm sure others will be along to offer great advise also. Try not to handle her as much as possible, them new pin feathers are painful when they come in.

Here's the official molt contest to see other pics of really hard molts or if you want to enter your poor girl...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-your-best-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-2023.1593891/

She looks like she's having a hard molt.
Try giving her the things suggested to eat, they will help boost her and also you could give her/all your girls some vitamin/electrolytes water also.

I'm sure others will be along to offer great advise also. Try not to handle her as much as possible, them new pin feathers are painful when they come in.

Here's the official molt contest to see other pics of really hard molts or if you want to enter your poor girl...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-your-best-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-2023.1593891/
After checking out some of those photos, I feel better, lol. Thanks for the help!

I just posted a few pics. Do you think it could just be molting? She has 14 sisters and some molted just a few feathers on the wings. This hen is losing feathers everywhere, including chest and stomach.
Yes, that is a pretty hard molt. With some chickens, they do it and you don’t always notice except for some missing tail feathers. She would probably enjoy some higher protein treats if she seems sluggish. During molting they stop laying, and may eat less, while being less active and more standoffish.

Wanted to add... As @Eggcessive suggested it might not be a bad idea to put her in a little wire dog crate in the coop especially if she's being picked on/bottom of pecking order or her roo is bothering her. Most important part is keeping her part of the flock so it's not a hard re integration process after she gets feeling better.
She would welcome the time alone while she heals up.
Some of my girls will stay in the coop all day to avoid their roo and cold windy days during their molts.

Back
Top Bottom