Severe frostbite on feet

Sandsunsurf

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and in my second year of raising chickens.

I have a hen that was left out during a cold spell when I went home for Christmas vacation. It was extremely upsetting to find out about on my return. She has severe frostbite damage to her feet. I’ve been caring for her for over a month now but she’s never going to be how she was before this incident. Am I doing her more harm than good by keeping her around? I give her poultry aspirin once a day and poultry cell. I clean her feet in Epsom salt soaks and spray an antiseptic on her feet daily but I’m sure that’s not enough to ease any discomfort. She does get around some and still loved dirt bath in the yard until today. I just don’t know what to do and I want to give her a chance if I can but not if it’s not the right thing for her. Does she ever have a chance of returning to the flock? Or would she be my house chicken forever?

Attachments

• 5DDFA4A3-5BF8-4FEB-93D7-033D9B972F7B.jpeg
    5DDFA4A3-5BF8-4FEB-93D7-033D9B972F7B.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 17
  • B6515072-50AB-4188-B739-2861296D51CB.jpeg
    B6515072-50AB-4188-B739-2861296D51CB.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
:welcome sorry for the circumstances. Her right foot, and perhaps her left leg will eventually fall off. She might have quality of life as a house chicken, but would likely become a target in the flock.

I agree the left leg will be lost as far up as the black skin ends, and the toes on the other foot half way up. It will take a month or so for them to fall off, and they won’t be the same height. If they came off at the feet, she might have gotten around on her stumps when they healed. Some have tried to make 3 D printer artificial legs for chicken with one bad or missing leg, but it would probably not work for her. A chicken sling or wheelchair might be the best way to keep her, but it may not be a good quality of life for her. It is always a personal choice whether to see how it goes, or put them down. I’m sorry that this happened to your hen. Frostbite is a very sad thing.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances. Her right foot, and perhaps her left leg will eventually fall off. She might have quality of life as a house chicken, but would likely become a target in the flock.
Thank you for your feedback.

I agree the left leg will be lost as far up as the black skin ends, and the toes on the other foot half way up. It will take a month or so for them to fall off, and they won’t be the same height. If they came off at the feet, she might have gotten around on her stumps when they healed. Some have tried to make 3 D printer artificial legs for chicken with one bad or missing leg, but it would probably not work for her. A chicken sling or wheelchair might be the best way to keep her, but it may not be a good quality of life for her. It is always a personal choice whether to see how it goes, or put them down. I’m sorry that this happened to your hen. Frostbite is a very sad thing.
Thank you for your feedback. I think I have a hard choice to make.

Thank you for your feedback. I think I have a hard choice to make.
Its always a hard choice.
I try and go off of how their life will be and what will happen if the worst comes along.

Will i be able to care for her indoors and individually care for her?
Why am i doing this? Is it because its hard to see her go, or because I genuinely feel she can have a happy life after?

Culling a chicken is something that only you can decide on. If you feel her quality of life won’t decrease and you will be able to tend to her indoors, then that might help you make your decision.

Back
Top Bottom