Severe limp and no other symptoms. What is going on?!

mamabahre

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Ok here is the rundown on Mrs. B

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Dark Cornish hen, she is about 6 months old and weighs an average amount for a dark cornish. She is not over or underweight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is limping badly. Refusing to use one leg when walking. She will put weight on it when she has to but most of the time she stands on one foot and lets the other one hang off the ground.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
We noticed it yesterday morning. It has continued into this morning pretty much the same.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I felt along her entire leg for a break of some kind and didn't feel anything. It is not dislocated. There appears to be no direct sign of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I don't have a clue. Our dog chased the birds several days ago but she didn't touch any of them and that was 4 days ago and she has only been limping since yesterday.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop is totally normal. Not runny at all.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Separated her into a small cage to keep her from moving around a lot. Nothing else.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We will do treatment ourselves. No vet would see her anyway and while we love her she is not our pet. Like all our chickens she is here for egg production.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
A picture wouldn't show anything out of the ordinary.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
In the coop they have 2 roosts at 2 different levels and their coop bedding is sand during the summer.

The birds free range ALL day. She does not have a mark of an attack on her. She is eating well and is bright eyed. no discharge from nose or eyes. no wheezing etc. Just simply this leg issue. If it does not get better in a few days I don't know what else to do but cull. It does seem to be painful to her but I can't see any inflammation or feel a break and it is not dislocated. I just don't know what the heck to do, if anything.

My barred rock has the same thing this happened about a year ago also i believe its just a sprain from running sometimes it takes a week or so for to get better .
smile.png

Since she free ranges all day it is possible that she got bit by a chicken snake. The same thing happened to my hen and she is still limping several years later. However yours could simply be a sprain from running, an upper leg muscle which would explain why you don't see anything. Try soaking her in some warm water and epsom salt, its made for sprains and bruises. Or even just warm water. If it persists you can try the Mareks cure which I am using on my RIR hen who got bit by the snake. It is doing wonders for her. It may make the symptoms worse for the duration of the treatment but when you take them off it's like a new bird. You can go into my posts and click on Tube Feeding thread and the cure is posted in there. Very simple, give it to her for three days, take her off, see if she needs any more, and if she does do it for three days again. Repeat as often as necessary.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
If any questions you can PM me.
smile.png

We have had the same thing going on with our girls. For no reason, one will start limping. Check her out and don't see anything. After about a week in isolation, she starts getting better. Then another one had the same thing.
Then I actually saw it happen. It was the rooster! If he jumps on them on uneven ground or if he's too...um...excited, then the hen comes up limping.
I guess our only recourse is to either get rid of the rooster or get more girls. Tough choice.
wink.png

BTW..what's a chicken snake?

Back
Top Bottom