Sevin Dust

RouttyChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Carrollton, Va.
New to this chicken thing but i got to thinking and was wondering if chickens ever get bugs/mites or any other harmful parasites. I also raise Purple Martins and as a "best practice" we sprinkle their nest with sevin dust twice a season to control mites and other parasites. As a novice i am just asking if this is something i should be on the lookout for?

Hello-

You're smart to keep a lookout for parasites. Chickens can get mites or lice from wild birds. It's really nice if you can put sand in your chicken run so they can dust bathe in it. That helps them control the insects. And I think they love it too. It's like a chicken spa treatment for them.

I use 7 dust if I see any signs of mites or lice. You have to use it once, then again in 14 days to kill any eggs that hatch. I only do this if I actually see the parasites though. Signs of lice or mites would be plucked areas and raggedy feathers. I've had chickens for over five years, and I've only had a problem twice. One time, in the winter, my flock turned up with lice. I think it was from wild birds getting into the coop, possibly for warmth. The other time, I bought some pure bred Americanas from a breeder, and they had lice. Luckily I noticed it right away, before I had integrated them into the flock, so I only had to treat three chickens.

Hope this helps,
Sharon

Yes, they certainly do get lice and mites; they are carried by wild birds. Many of us have been using Sevin 5% preventively for years. I don't use it nearly that often, more like every few months, and I ve never seen a case of them on my birds -- but them, maybe I'm just lucky. If they flock becomes infested, the course is to dust all birds, change out all bedding, and treat the coop with something like Sevin liquid. (They will hide under the roost at night so this area needs particular attention.) All this is repeated in 2 weks to kill the eggs which whill then have hatched. here is just one source:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Another opinion on this is that I would only worm if I knew that my chickens had worms....would you take antibiotics if you didn't have an infection?? Sevin dust kills the honey bees I wouldn't touch that stuff unless you had to ! There are enough chemicals in our food and environment and part of the reason I raise chickens for eggs is so I know what I am consuming. Everyone has a different take on this some think that this is a preventative measure,,,Not me I have 7 three yr old chickens that give me around 5 eggs a day and I have never had mites and only used herbs to prevent worms. I would recommend regular checks for mites and then treat if you have an infestation... if you suspect worms take a sample to a vet to know for sure. just my opinion... Either way enjoy your chickens they are so much fun :)

Another opinion on this is that I would only worm if I knew that my chickens had worms....would you take antibiotics if you didn't have an infection?? Sevin dust kills the honey bees I wouldn't touch that stuff unless you had to ! There are enough chemicals in our food and environment and part of the reason I raise chickens for eggs is so I know what I am consuming. Everyone has a different take on this some think that this is a preventative measure,,,Not me I have 7 three yr old chickens that give me around 5 eggs a day and I have never had mites and only used herbs to prevent worms. I would recommend regular checks for mites and then treat if you have an infestation... if you suspect worms take a sample to a vet to know for sure. just my opinion... Either way enjoy your chickens they are so much fun :)
x2. I take a fecal sample to the vet every 4 months, it only cost $22.00 I have had chickens for a little over 2 years and never have had a positive result on the fecal float.

I have never used sevin dust or wormed my chickens & never had a problem. If I had mites I would try everything else before sevin, but that's just me. Have only raised chickens for 21 years, so maybe I have been lucky.

Back
Top Bottom