sex-link chicks

cjschickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
I used a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster over Rhode Island Red hens. Would the chicks be considered sex-linked or not. I've been reading on this subject, and till I get done I'm totally confused !! I also have a Rhode Island red roo over SLW. This will for sure make a sex-link -- right? Thanks for your help !

No sex links with that cross.

However use the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster over barred hens (barred rock or barred holland or cuckoo marans) and you'l get black and blue sexlinks. Roosters will be (black and blue) barred and the pullets will be black or blue.

The wyandotte over rhode island reds will not produce sex linked chicks. However, the red over SLW should male red sex links. The BLRW rooster over SLW hens would also produce red sex links, although they may be a little harder to identify the colors due to the striping on the chicks. Both the red and the BLRW are gold based and SLW is (obviously) silver based which is what is required for a red sex link cross.

Thanks for the info !! That makes sense ! Glad to know that I can use the SLW as we have some of those also. Thanks !

The wyandotte over rhode island reds will not produce sex linked chicks.  However, the red over SLW should male red sex links.  The BLRW rooster over SLW hens would also produce red sex links, although they may be a little harder to identify the colors due to the striping on the chicks.  Both the red and the BLRW are gold based and SLW is (obviously) silver based which is what is required for a red sex link cross.
No sex links with that cross. However use the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster over barred hens (barred rock or barred holland or cuckoo marans) and you'l get black and blue sexlinks. Roosters will be (black and blue) barred and the pullets will be black or blue.

Glad to have discovered this thread. I'm starting year two with chickens and just hatched some of my own eggs. I believe this chick came from a blrw roo and a slw hen. So does the red coming through in the face tell me I've got a pullet.... or a cockerel?? I'd love to know, but I'm just too new at this!

I also got a solid black chick which I'm sure came from my cuckoo marans. 2 weeks old and no signs of barring.... female?? Thanks for posting this info. It really is fascinating!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom