Sex link mistake

The way the tail feathers stick up and the feathers around the neck are more pointy instead of rounded at the ends. I had read somewhere that was an indication of a rooster, but maybe it was breed specific. I don't remember.
Tail feathers don't usually means anything, and as for the hackles (neck feathers) yours are roo young to have them yet as those don't come in until at least 13 weeks. The pointiness wouldn't be subtle. 👍

Here's a tip for Red Sex-links.

Female chicks are reddish orange, at hatch, & easily identified. They feather out red, with white markings.

Male Red Sex-links hatch out white, or yellowish. Easy to distinguish at hatch. They feather out, Silver, creamy white, with red in the shoulders sometimes.

The reason they are obvious pullets is their color. That only works with sex linked birds and that is why those breeds were created as far as I know-so the chicks can be verified male or female before they ever leave the hatchery. Male sex links are a completey different color than female.

The way the tail feathers stick up and the feathers around the neck are more pointy instead of rounded at the ends.

Tail feathers are meaningless at this age and the sex-specific hackle and saddle feathers don't usually show up until between 12 and 20 weeks depending on breed. Even then certain color patterns can be deceptive.

The best way to see the true shape of the feather is to put your hand or a piece of paper behind the feathers. That way the shape of the color pattern won't fool you. :)

hen vs rooster.jpeg

I purchased six sex linked chicks at TS a little over two months ago. Three different types and all are supposed to be female. A few of them have me wondering, though. I know it's still early to tell, they are about 10 weeks old, but is it possible for sex link to be wrong? Could I have a rooster or two anyway?

Thanks for any insight!

(This one especially makes me think of a rooster.)
So glad you posted this as I have the same question! I purchased 6 sex links from TSC this spring all were supposed to be female but I am suspicious of 1 ! I dont know much about sex links though as I have not had them before. The one pictured here has waddle and none of the others do and the tail is different, also wondering if I got an accidental roo

Attachments

• Link1.jpg
    Link1.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 2
  • link2.jpg
    link2.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 2
So glad you posted this as I have the same question! I purchased 6 sex links from TSC this spring all were supposed to be female but I am suspicious of 1 ! I dont know much about sex links though as I have not had them before. The one pictured here has waddle and none of the others do and the tail is different, also wondering if I got an accidental roo
100% female.

Back
Top Bottom