Sex-link Production??

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I am in the process of breeding my own red sex-links. What I would like to know is....... I am using a R.I.Red roo but am not sure weather to use a Delaware or White Rock hen
hu.gif
I have heard some say that there is no deference in the offspring with the egg production and some say "o yes it is"! Does anyone here have any experience with the two different outcomes or any other info on this matter? What I am looking for is maxium production of big brown eggs as this is what most of my egg buying customers are looking and asking for. Any help appreciated!
thumbsup.gif

Have a beautiful Sunday and God bless!
Tim

I don't have any personal experience, but why not try both? Or, does one breed produce more eggs? Just a thought.
smile.png

Personally I had a gold comet (white rock cross I think) and I eventually sold her due to lack of production. She literally layed like 6 eggs in nearly 3 months and one of those occasions she layed two in one day...so I got my hopes up...

...for nothing....

Hope this helps and it was only my experience!

Personally I think u should go with the RIR roo and the Delaware hen and get red stars. The Red stars are amazing layers, in good weather they lay 6-7 eggs a week and start laying around 16-18 weeks. Give them a few months for their eggs to get bigger and u wont be dissapointed. My girls lay large to extra large. They are much smaller than my RIR girls and outlay them hands down.

Good Luck!

I also would go with the Delaware, because you can be more sure of the silver in the Del, which you need for sex link.

Your white Rock may or may not have the silver gene needed. That said, I'd still love to have that cross, just for the temperament.
BTW commercial sex links are highly specialized genetic specimens, and you may not achieve quite the lay rate with your home bred birds. None the less, enjoy! You may find you produce very, very nice birds.

I have 2 Dels now and today I talked to a friend and maybe in the process of getting a few White Rocks from them. I think I am going to try both and see what results I get personally. Hopefully by next year this time I will be able to reopen this post and tell you all what results I had.
Thank you all so much for your opinions they are greatly appreciated!
God bless!
smile.png

Tim

I haven't tried the white rock cross yet. But I did order Rhode Island whites from Privet and tried breeding those with my RIR roo this year. First, the RIW pullets looked a bit suspicious for the breed they were supposed to be, not the right conformation, etc. However, in the end they did produce sexlink chicks. The bad news is that after setting about 4 dozen eggs I have only had 4 hatch. When I did the "eggtopsy" on the failures every one was fertile (not a roo problem) and most of them failed just before hatching. There were even a few that pipped and then failed. So I have given up on hatching this cross. Instead I am currently raising some delawares for next years hatch. I had delawares in the past, made great sexlinks with good hatchability, but the original hens(also from Privet) they were bred from were not great layers...and that's when I decided to try the RIW cross.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us all briteday. I am kinda leaning more towards the Dels as well, but am willing to give the Rocks a try.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom