sex linked......hmmmmmmm

PolloPollito

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2022
I was at the feed store early September and the owner implored me to take home a couple more chicken and I caved. This one is supposed to be Sex-linked between Black Copper Marans & Cuckoo Marans... The chicken was approaching 2 weeks old at the time. I noticed the bigger comb and mentioned it... The owner said these were guaranteed to be female and that some girls "comb out" early.

Now we are at 9 1/2 weeks.. there's a slight barred pattern on the back & the neck feathers are ever brighter and unorganized in the front... Wondering what you all think. It's hard to find information about this particular chicken.. at least for me.
sex linked side 1.jpg
1667004112735.png
1667004147368.png
1667004174161.png
1667004229569.png
1667004256113.png

This one is supposed to be Sex-linked between Black Copper Marans & Cuckoo Marans...
Now we are at 9 1/2 weeks.. there's a slight barred pattern on the back & the neck feathers are ever brighter and unorganized in the front.
The sex-linked barring gene causes white barring on any base color. A pattern of gold & black (like what I see on your bird) is caused by different genes.

If the person at the feed store was correct about what breeds were crossed, your bird must be a pullet. A Cuckoo Marans will never produce a son who looks like that.

And in the photos she does look like a pullet to me, no matter what breed her parents might have been.

I have a Black Marans sexlink. I was told her parents were Cuckoo Maran hen x Copper Marans Male. She's solid black with no barring or gold. A few feathers on the legs which are black & white barred and also her ear feathers.

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_110926.jpg
    IMG_20200707_110926.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 6
I was at the feed store early September and the owner implored me to take home a couple more chicken and I caved. This one is supposed to be Sex-linked between Black Copper Marans & Cuckoo Marans... The chicken was approaching 2 weeks old at the time. I noticed the bigger comb and mentioned it... The owner said these were guaranteed to be female and that some girls "comb out" early.

Now we are at 9 1/2 weeks.. there's a slight barred pattern on the back & the neck feathers are ever brighter and unorganized in the front... Wondering what you all think. It's hard to find information about this particular chicken.. at least for me.View attachment 3305321View attachment 3305324View attachment 3305325View attachment 3305327View attachment 3305329View attachment 3305330
That white on her is juvenile feathering, not barring :)

I have a Black Marans sexlink. I was told her parents were Cuckoo Maran hen x Copper Marans Male. She's solid black with no barring or gold. A few feathers on the legs which are black & white barred and also her ear feathers.
beautfiful bird you have!!!

That could be a photo of my little “pullet,” about which I am also having doubts. Yours is about 3weeks older than mine, so I’ll be watching this thread!

Back
Top Bottom