Sex- linked Information

...hmmmm......

My Buff or Pencilled (Dark) Brahma × Cream Legbar are "black sexlinks", but they hatched looking exactly like a legbar pullet, besudes their feathered feet.... Is this because legbars are autosexable/sexlinks?
If they look like legbar pullets then at this point it really doesn't have anything to do with them being auto sexing as it does with the legbars down color being wild type and being dominate over what ever the mother was.

I'm not sure if this question has been answered already, but do sexlinks usually have higher production than their parents? I know this is true of standard sexlinks (golden comets and black stars) but haven't read anything about others. also, does anyone have pictures (male and female) of a Buff Rock roo over a Barred Rock hen? I'm interested in trying this cross, especially if their production is increased.

Any sex links produced in the back yard flock will have hybrid vigor. They may or may not be better layers than the parent stock. IMO, sexlinks produced in the back yard flock will not have the reproductive issues that are seen in the high production sexlink birds sold by the hatcheries.

I love the control that producing my own sex links provides. I can produce sex links which have a pea or walnut comb, and produce green or olive colored eggs. Try finding that at a hatchery! They are also excellent layers.

Any sex links produced in the back yard flock will have hybrid vigor. They may or may not be better layers than the parent stock. IMO, sexlinks produced in the back yard flock will not have the reproductive issues that are seen in the high production sexlink birds sold by the hatcheries.

I love the control that producing my own sex links provides. I can produce sex links which have a pea or walnut comb, and produce green or olive colored eggs. Try finding that at a hatchery! They are also excellent layers.

Thank you for that information! Have you ever tried a Buff Rock over a Barred Rock? I would love to see the outcome!

Thank you for that information! Have you ever tried a Buff Rock over a Barred Rock? I would love to see the outcome!
I did Buff Orpington over Barred Rock, which should be similar as far as coloring goes. You get a LOT more color on them because black doesn't restrict buff near as much as red.
GrownSexlink3.jpg
GrownSexlink2.jpg
GrownSexlink4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom