Sex- linked Information

A fantastically detailed post that explains it all! Thank You.

My personal favourite is the female from New Hampshire x Light Sussex which throws a delightful Buff Hen that we call a Buff Blacktail Layer.

My second choice is is the RIR x Light Sussex that throws a darker Female - lets call them Brown Blacktail Layers (or Chocolate Blacktail Layers for those with a need for a fancy name).

We source our Day Olds from a Breeder of Show Quality Birds in the KZN Midlands, so we know we can rely on their quality.

These are such gorgeous girls with lovely temperaments and we are now aiting for them to start laying to determine their egg production abilities. We are heading into winter and do not use supplementary lighting so not an ideal time to be assessing their production abilities.

An interesting observation is that some of our BBL's have yellow legs and others pale/pink, which we attribute to either the RIR male gene or the LS female gene. RIR lay brown eggs and LS pale eggs, so it is going to be interesting to see whether the egg color will match the feet color!

Can't wait for the results.

So if a Buff Orpington Rooster breeds with a barred rock hen, will it be a sex link? If so, will the female be black with gold and will the male be barred with silver?

If a Buff Orp rooster breeds with a Barred Rock hen, the chicks will be black sex links. The boys will have a spot on the head, the girls will not. When they feather out the boys will be barred, the girls will not.

A Buff Orp rooster will have Gold. A Barred rock hen may or may not have Silver. She should have silver but there is no guarantee. Even if she does, one of the requirements for red sex linked chicks is that you need to be able to see the difference in the down. With that cross you should not be able to see it.

Buff can have an interesting effect on black. In theory black is dominant so you should not be able to see anything else, but in practice buff often turns some of the black feathers yellow or orange. In theory the girls should be solid black and the boys black and white barred, but often you see yellow or orange spots on some of the feathers or even yellow or orange patches. Whether the barred rock hen has gold or silver may come into play as to whether it is yellow or orange, but that's just a guess. I think that buff on black effect is usually really pretty.

If a Buff Orp rooster breeds with a Barred Rock hen, the chicks will be black sex links. The boys will have a spot on the head, the girls will not. When they feather out the boys will be barred, the girls will not.

A Buff Orp rooster will have Gold. A Barred rock hen may or may not have Silver. She should have silver but there is no guarantee. Even if she does, one of the requirements for red sex linked chicks is that you need to be able to see the difference in the down. With that cross you should not be able to see it.

Buff can have an interesting effect on black. In theory black is dominant so you should not be able to see anything else, but in practice buff often turns some of the black feathers yellow or orange. In theory the girls should be solid black and the boys black and white barred, but often you see yellow or orange spots on some of the feathers or even yellow or orange patches. Whether the barred rock hen has gold or silver may come into play as to whether it is yellow or orange, but that's just a guess. I think that buff on black effect is usually really pretty.
I agree! I would love to hatch that mix!

Ok..I have a question. What about buff orpington roo over an opal legbar? What would that produce?
The chicks would be sex linked because the mother is barred. However, I’m unsure if the head spot would be visible in the down of the chicks. For example, I had a leghornX roo over barred hens only one of the male chicks was decernable at hatch (he was grey) the rest of the male got the dominant white gene and their head spots where hidden in yellow down. They feathered out white as well, but if you looked at their feathers in just the right light, it was obvious they had the batting gene. It was just white on white barring, but the bars had a slightly different sheen in the sun. I tried to get photos of it but never could get the camera to show the sheen. You would probably be able to see the barring early on your birds as their primary flight feathers came in.

Ok..I have a question. What about buff orpington roo over an opal legbar? What would that produce?

male offspring would be barred, females would not.

Chicks would probably be on the spectrum between wheaten-looking (cream- colored) to partially striped. You might be able to see the white spot on the head of chipmunk-type chicks but not really on wheaten-looking chicks.

They should all be black-tailed buff (May be incomplete).

They will all carry the lavender gene and the Ig cream gene so you would be able to see that come out in the second generation.

Females should look similar to these buff Orpington brown Leghorn crosses with the addition of a small crest and of course laying greenish eggs.

b54b765e375af295012a6ff22ae6ab7b.jpg

The last 4 years I have been breeding RIR over Barred Rocks for my Black Sex Links, and my RIR over my Silver Laced Wyandottes for Red Sex Links.
I am finding that my SLW's are a bit.... fragile. Frusteratingly so. Looking for another alternitive for Reds.
I have also been doing some Sex Linked EE's by using my Blue Wheaton Ameraucana over my Barred Rocks. Gives a 50/50 of Blues/Blacks. Female bottom, Male top. I have people growing these out and they seem to be correct with sexing. (This pair I am going to keep to grow out myself to see what they look like at 12 weeks+)

sexed ee.jpg

Any thoughts on what to use for Red Sex links...
I have:
Barred Plymouth Rock Hens, Legbar Hens and Roosters, Blue Wheaten Ameraucana Rooster, Rhode Island Red Roosters and Hens
Any suggestions for new birds appreciated. :D to result in Red Sex Links. Black Sex Links I have in spades. ;)

Back
Top Bottom