Sex- linked Information

Went to buy some hens today and came home with two Light Brahmas. Not because I especially like them, but because I can use them to make sex links with next summer :rolleyes: . I'll have them, hopefully some Colombian Wyandottes and some salmon Faverolles. Just need a nice Red rooster and I'm set!

A Salmon Faverolle rooster over the Light Brahma hens will get you Sexlinks.

I'm not sure if the chicks would be quite as sexable at the first like regular Sexlinks though.

I used a Salmon colored NN rooster over a barred Rock (type) hen and got a black sex link, he had the spot from day one too.

This a list of Roosters and Hens I have…..Which Roosters over Hens would make the best sex-link crossing???  

MALES ( Roosters )                                                                           FEMALES  ( Hens )
MARANS VARIETY: BLACK, BLACK COPPER, BLUE & WHITE       MARANS VARIETY: BLACK, BLACK COPPER, BLUE,                                                                                        SPLASH & CUCKOO  
WELSUMMER                                                                             AMERAUCANAS                     
AMERAUCANAS                                                                          WELSUMMERS                                             BARRED ROCK                                                                            BLACK AUSTROLORPS                                                                                                                                        RHODE ISLAND RED'S                                                                              

You list is kind of crossed up there. I can't distinguish what goes to what list.

This a list of Roosters and Hens I have…..Which Roosters over Hens would make the best sex-link crossing???

MALES ( Roosters ) FEMALES ( Hens )
MARANS VARIETY: BLACK, BLACK COPPER, BLUE & WHITE MARANS VARIETY: BLACK, BLACK COPPER, BLUE, SPLASH & CUCKOO
WELSUMMER AMERAUCANAS
AMERAUCANAS WELSUMMERS BARRED ROCK BLACK AUSTROLORPS RHODE ISLAND RED'S

The Cuckoo Marans hens are the only ones suitable for making sexlinks. Use a non-barred, colored roo, like the Black Copper Marans or Welsummer. That will give to chocolate egg laying sexlinks. If you have a black Ameraucana roo, you could use him over the CM's to make sexlinked Olive eggers.

A Salmon Faverolle rooster over the Light Brahma hens will get you Sexlinks.

I'm not sure if the chicks would be quite as sexable at the first like regular Sexlinks though.

I used a Salmon colored NN rooster over a barred Rock (type) hen and got a black sex link, he had the spot from day one too.
Help?

This confuses me, because Tim's chart lists the salmon Faverolles as the hen side of a red sex link cross, so I'm thinking they're silver based. I'm not sure how the silver rooster over the silver hen would give me sex links? I've been confused over that cause the salmons don't look silver, but he lists them as such on his chart
hmm.png

I was thinking to put my Faverolles rooster over my barred Rock hens, bastardize the names of the breeds for the offspring and call them Rock and Roll birds
lol.png
. Yes, yes I do have way too much time on my hands to think of chickens......

dheltzel....... What will the difference be between male and female chicks from the crossing of either the BCM or Welsummer rooster over Cuckoo hens??? Are their pictures on the original post that show the difference??? Thank you for any of your help
jumpy.gif

Although I'm sure our dog is louder than any rooster haha plus the people come to do the lawns in the condos so I'm sure all of that is louder too lmao

But still don't wanna.

But oh well.

I do eventually plan to add goats though but I need more money

MALES (Roosters) FEMALES (Hens)
Marans Variety Black, Black Copper,Blue & White Marans Variety Black,BCM, Blue,Splash & Cuckoo
Ameraucanas Ameraucanas
Welsummers Welsummers
Barred Rock Black Austrolorp
Rhode Island Red

dheltzel ....... What will the difference be between male and female chicks from the crossing of either the BCM or Welsummer rooster over Cuckoo hens??? Are their pictures on the original post that show the difference??? Thank you for any of your help
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom