Sex Linked Maran

Quote:
He is probably not crowing yet because he is not the alpha roo, I have noticed that when I have more than one roo in a pen that for the most part the roo that is second in command takes longer to voice his opinions about the situation, but never fear he will start soon enough. For the longest time I had 2 Welsummer roos together with their gals in the breeding pen, Odin the bigger more assertive roo started crowing first and his brother the smaller roo took almost 10 mos to crow and never was as vocal as his brother Odin. Odin's son who is now about 4.5 mos old and is in the same pen with his father, started crowing over a month ago and he is not at all intimidated by his father who IS the alpha roo, Loki, the son, crows all day long and is not bashful at all when it comes to trying out his charming tactics with all of his fathers ladies. Took Odin's brother way longer to even try getting down to business with the gals. Each bird is different.

Last edited:
I was reading that the Wheaten variety of Marans can be sexed by color at the time the chicks flight feathers come in but I couldn't find anything else definitive on the other varieties.

Back
Top Bottom