Sex-Linked Silkies?

I know next to nothing about chicken genetics, and nothing about Silkies. Waiting on Mystery's response, but I suspect the answer is you will have to introduce a sex linked trait from a non-Silkie, then breed to reinforce that trait, resulting in a sex linked bird which has some physical resemblance to Silkies, but is no longer a Silkie...

I suspect the answer is you will have to introduce a sex linked trait from a non-Silkie
The genes most commonly used for sexlinks are already present in some varieties of Silkies: gold/silver, and barring. Chocolate would work too.

--Gold/Silver sexlinks:
Rooster must be "gold" (buff, red, partridge, etc)
Hen must be "silver" (the color called "gray" should be a silver version of partridge, so it would work.)
Sons will be silver like their mother, daughters gold like their father. The daughters may have different shades of gold (buff, red, brown) and the sons may have a yellowish or dirty-looking silver color, and will probably have some red leakage in their shoulder feathers as they grow up.

--"Black" sexlinks (barred/not-barred)
As JacinLarkwell suggested, and use a barred (or cuckoo) silkie hen, with any silkie rooster that is not-barred and not-white. The sons will have white barring (and a pale spot on their head as chicks), the daughters will not have barring.

--Chocolate sexlinks
If you get a chocolate silkie rooster, you can cross him to black hens to get black sons and chocolate daughters.

Back
Top Bottom