Sex links??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickmanna, Dec 13, 2012.

1. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    I have eggs in the incubator from the following crosses - Barnevelder Roo with Silver Penciled Rock hen and Silver Laced Wyandotte hen. The Barnevelder hens have stopped laying for the winter, so just checking out the young Roo for fertility. Will the chicks from the Wyandotte all have rose combs? Will the chicks be sex links?

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

the wyandottes should have rose combs, and they should be sex links, but I'm not an expert

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Try reading this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

The answer is not a good red sex linked cross probably on of the worst for classifying male and female down.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    Thanks Tim. Will the chicks be black with only color on the faces or more chipmunky?

5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say one sex will have more distinct markings than the other, which sex is which, I don't know!!

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    They are going to be a dark color and the broken color on the face will be silver or red. They are brown at the E locus and that is not good for red sex links. Works fine on black sex links if heterozygous with birchen or extended black.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by