Sex of 9 week old chicks from kindergarten

It's not so much the comb and wattles. Its the feathering. See the flowing white feathers around the neck and patches on the wings. At 11 weeks if you do not see these changes you should be good. I'm telling you my first and only experience with my Opal. I was told by many that she was a he. I even have a thread on here which where I disagreed and got reamed out because of it. Everyone has their opinions just like me. I hope it works out for you .

It's not so much the comb and wattles. Its the feathering. See the flowing white feathers around the neck and patches on the wings. At 11 weeks if you do not see these changes you should be good. I'm telling you my first and only experience with my Opal. I was told by many that she was a he. I even have a thread on here which where I disagreed and got reamed out because of it. Everyone has their opinions just like me. I hope it works out for you .
The lack of white is the reason I’m not totally sold on male. 😊 Still learning but so far my instincts seem good! Thank you for all that info, it’s very helpful to those of us learning!

@GRChicks I think you have a good chance of at least 2 girls (important for socialization), but don’t lose hope for a possible 3!

Thanks! We’ll keep an eye on the saddle feathers and feathering on the wings.

You're only clear boy is the ISA. As mentioned, the americana is an easter egger, and the dark brahma is a buff brahma. The silver laced wyandotte could still be a pullet, but its so poorly bred, I wouldn't be surprised if that one was a mix.
Thank you for this! Picking up on your comment about breeding... I’ve read that the ISA browns have to been pure bred for the sex linking to be accurate. I would assume our ISA is a pure bred but also have no idea where the eggs for the classroom incubator came from and thus don’t know the quality. Any chance the ISA isn’t a pure bred? I’ve had a couple of friends (not chicken people per se) stop by and say that they know egg laying hens that look just like “Emma,” our ISA.

Hi all! I’m new to this awesome forum and new to backyard chickens. My kindergartener’s class hatched chicks and we adopted four to bring home. It’s a little more work than I expected and a lot more fun than I expected! We live in a city and can only keep hens. I’m wondering if we might have one (or three!) roosters on our hands. Any input? The teacher told me they hatched around May 19 and there is one Isa Brown, one Americauna, one Silver Laced Wyandotte, and one Dark Brahma. I think I know who’s who and put the pics in that order. Thanks in advance!!View attachment 2765180View attachment 2765182View attachment 2765184View attachment 2765185View attachment 2765186View attachment 2765188View attachment 2765189View attachment 2765190
The Isa Brown, & Wyandotte are Cockerels.

Thank you for this! Picking up on your comment about breeding... I’ve read that the ISA browns have to been pure bred for the sex linking to be accurate. I would assume our ISA is a pure bred but also have no idea where the eggs for the classroom incubator came from and thus don’t know the quality. Any chance the ISA isn’t a pure bred? I’ve had a couple of friends (not chicken people per se) stop by and say that they know egg laying hens that look just like “Emma,” our ISA.
ISA isn't a breed.... Its a cross, more commonly called a Red Sex Link. They take a red rooster (sometimes a RIR) and breed him to a white hen (like a leghorn.) Her chicks will be sex linked... the boys will be yellow while the girls will have an orange shade.

Now, if you take two red sex links and breed them, their offspring will not be sex linked. It only works on the first generation.

ETA: I have to edit my previous response. That wyandotte is a cockerel. I didn't pay attention.

ISA isn't a breed.... Its a cross, more commonly called a Red Sex Link. They take a red rooster (sometimes a RIR) and breed him to a white hen (like a leghorn.) Her chicks will be sex linked... the boys will be yellow while the girls will have an orange shade.

Now, if you take two red sex links and breed them, their offspring will not be sex linked. It only works on the first generation.

ETA: I have to edit my previous response. That wyandotte is a cockerel. I didn't pay attention.
Understand. Appreciate you explaining! Emma/ISA was a darling little yellow chick. :)

Back
Top Bottom