Sex of my Welsh Harlequins

AaronS

Chirping
Feb 10, 2011
Hi everybody

New to the forum. Have Welsh Harlequins after mucking around with Elizabeths and Bantam Appleyards for a while. The goal is to breed to some Australian standard gold phase WH.

I am quite impatient and very curious and I cannot figure out the sex of my ducklings. I am pretty sure I have a gold duck but am wondering about the silvers. Is the one with no red on the chest but a black head and dark beak a drake or duck do people think? Might just have to wait until they quack......

I wanted to post some photos but cannot as I am a new member.

The photos can be found at the following locations. Type in the url I have written out

farm6dotstaticdotflickrdotcombackslash5053backslash5417820118_f7e07199cc_z.jpg

Cheers
Aaron

Hi Aaron,
welcome-byc.gif

I recognise those duckies!!! When I saw your post I thought it might have been the same as I saw on an Australian site recently. I still think that one in particular is a boy. And the all brown one next to it is a female.

hello. and welcome from ct.!! usa
welcome-byc.gif

btw: i just ordered some of the same kind of ducks!!!! woot woot!!!
i could not pull up the link. sorry. i also dont know how to help identify ducks sex yet?? so maybe perhaps someone else could chime in their thoughts.

good luck tho!!!!!!
smile.png

The link didn't work for me.

Is the Gold phase you are working on the same as the one already found in Silver flocks, or something else?

Duckyfromoz

They are the same photos I posted to Oz forum. Yes, i am impatient! I want to start either eating or getting rid of some now as our garden can no longer stand having so many in it. But do not want to get rid of ducks.

Omniskies

I have started by putting a gold drake over a silver duck. Will go from there introducing new blood at some stage.

Mods, any chance of someone posting the photos for me as I cannot do it as a new member.

I guess my question could be phrased as this. In silver with gold recessive Welsh Harlequin drakelings, is the red chest and yellow beak always present or, with most things, is there variability? And these things will change over time?

Cheers
Aaron

Hey Pirtykitty

Yes, I am in Australia.

Seems I can post images now.

So it is the one on the front left. No red on chest (duck trait), dark bill (duck trait) but dark head (drake trait).

A

5417820118_f7e07199cc_b.jpg

Last edited:
All sorted. Picked them up this morning one by one. The brown quacked when I got it and the others did a husky chirp. Seems I got 6 drakes and one duck out of a clutch.

Back
Top Bottom