Sex of one year olds

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
My three white peafowl are almost a year old and I was hoping for some ideas as to their sex. The 3 are identical in size and feathering, and almost impossible to tell apart. I'm assuming they are either all female or male. It was a windy day when I took pics so don't worry about any ruffled looking feathers.
20230519_114122.jpg
20230519_114107.jpg
20230519_114206.jpg

Hello!

They are beautiful!!! :love
My boys will be a year old this summer :)

White peafowl are often much harder to sex than the standard blue (and especially black shoulder) at a young age, but if they’re males, the tail feathers will look different than females’. Look at their backs and tails for thinner, softer, more loose-looking or flowy feathers. The presence of these feathers indicates males, and ones that have feathers that look more like broad and flat flight feathers (try saying that three times fast! 🤣) are female. Based on your pictures, I’d say they all look like females, just like @KsKingBee said.

At one year old, hens should start laying soon. (This may vary depending on what time of year they hatched, climate and daylight hours where you live, their diet, etc., but most often they will begin in their first or second summer.) Watch for eggs, and that will also tell you their genders for sure. Hope this helps!

I have been trying to compare them my other 7 non-white peacocks. 6 of those are hens so it would be difficult to tell who laid which egg. I was thinking the white ones' neck feathers match the mature peacock's - more whispy than defined, but maybe that is wishful thinking. I'll do some more comparisons of tails and backs of the females. Tough to do with mature male as he is too busy dancing and showing off his magnificent tail. I always smile when he turns around to display his white powder-puff butt.
Other than egg laying, is there an age where it would be easier to determine sex.

Haha! Yes, their fluffy poof-butts are pretty goofy LOL!

To answer your question, there really isn’t any specific age that will cause signs of the gender to show, except for at about two or three years when their trains start coming in. I’m sorry

It sounds to me like you would prefer your birds to be males than females…is that true? Honestly, I would be pretty excited about having more hens than cocks, because the ideal ratio isn’t equal parts. If you don’t want hens, you could try to sell them…they may even go for a higher price than a male would!

Back
Top Bottom