Sex verification please?

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
My first batch of 6 barred rocks were picked out by the worker at Southern States. I told her 5 pullets and 1 cockerel was what I wanted. She sexed them based on their leg wash and I ended up with 4 cockerels and 2 pullets.

My second batch of chicks came from the same store, but I picked them out myself by feather sexing. As I've mentioned in other posts I've made, I know you can't feather sex BR's but I figured why not? Since the traditional way of sexing BR chicks no longer applies when it comes to hatchery chicks, I figured I'd try feather sexing and maybe I'd get lucky
big_smile.png

Now the second batch are 4 weeks old, and their feathers are coming in. I have a picture of my first batch of chicks at 4 weeks, and you can see the two pullets because they have darker feathers. Comparing that picture with a picture I just took of the new babies, I think I might have lucked out and have 6 out of 6 pullets. Would love to get some opinions and see if anyone agrees?

Older chicks at 4 weeks:

Newest chicks today (will be 4 weeks tomorrow):

Just for fun, and perhaps to add some more detail to the new babies, here are some more pictures of them. Two of the six I think are mixes...because they have brown around their eyes, and none of my other BR's (newer or older) ever had any brown on them.

You really can't tell what the sex is until they are older,but if some are them are growing their combs and wattles faster than the others then they are probable roosters.

You really can't tell what the sex is until they are older,but if some are them are growing their combs and wattles faster than the others then they are probable roosters.
I knew what I had at four weeks with my older chicks. Their combs were a lot bigger than these. One of my pullets had a comb at this age, and it just stopped growing at a certain point. Here are pics of each of my older chicks on their 4 week birthday:

Athena...is a pullet...she had wattles and a comb at this age:

Boring Girl...pullet:

Boring Boy...cockerel:

Brave Boy...cockerel:

Pixie...cockerel:

Zeus...cockerel:

Here are the same chicks at 7 1/2 weeks old. These pics were taken Saturday:

Athena:

Boring Girl:

Boring Boy:

Brave Boy:

Pixie:

Zeus:

I think you did a great job sexing them!!! They all look like pullets to me ....I had 25 BR I also picked out my self from a feed store (only because the workers there acted like they knew what they were doing because they probally read a stupid pamphlet and thought they were professionals, but yet never owned poultry) and they were alllll girls, I was so proud of my self!! also the boys tails are shorter at first... GOOD JOB
let us know!

ALDO

Back
Top Bottom