Sexed silkies....

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by vkp23, Oct 12, 2010.

1. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I'm doing my planing now for my spring orders and am having a hard time deciding where to go. Last year I ordered from Ideal and I think they do a fabu job. My problem is I ordered 10 silkes from them and STILL managed to end up with 8 roos! I know MPC sells sexed silkies but they go for $10 per female. I can't afford that, not for the number or girls I would need anyway. So I was wondering if any one knew of a place that sells sexed silkies that don't cost that much. I also would prefer small orders (though we plan on getting 25-50 broilers this year so that probly isn't important.) But I do want to be able to order only 2 turkeys for our holiday dinners next year. I know Ideal will only let you order 25 or 30 or something due to them being hatched else where. Any way any one who could help me out I thank you.

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Silkies are impossible to sex until they are 5-7 months old. That is why if someone has to hire a professional sexer the females cost $10. I think that is cheap. You won't find them any cheaper. Sorry. You get what you pay for.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:100% would you rather pay 10$ per female or feed a silkie for 4-6 months to discover its a roo! it is worth the $ for a sexer to do it for you-

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    It sure is. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by