sexing araucana

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
at what age can you sex araucana? I have other breeds that had a red comb at 4 weeks, but the araucana at 8 weeks have me stumped
hu.gif

You'll be able to sex them soon, maybe even now. Lift their back feathers up and see if any of them have pointy saddle feathers just starting to grow in. If so, those are the boys. With my Araucanas I usually see the male feathering grow in long before the combs are noticably larger and redder. Although from birth males usually have much wider combs with three rows or bumps or points, whereas females usually have narrow combs with one row.

-Anne

Krista,
Check the hackle and sadle feathers. The males will be coming in pointed. The pullets will be half moon on the rump area and shouldn't look as long as the males. Post a couple of pictures for all the experts to advise you. HS

I will try to post a pic soon, but I have some that have raised, almost looks like a crown(3 bumps wide). I am assuming these are roos? I have no idea on the whites. I just want to get rid of all the roos, that aren't black or lav. I will keep the extra pullets.

I can tell by the combs most of the time, normally the males will have nice points on there pea combs..On the pullets they are tough to see, if they even have points, also the combs get a bit bigger and a redish hugh faster on the males around 7 weeks old. Also like the other said is hackle and saddle feathers..

oops,, i see you said the same thing Anne..

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom